- Schneider Super Angulon XL 72mm+Centered filter
    - Schneider Super-symmar XL 110mm with Centered Filter
    - Schneider Apo Symmar 150mm
    - Schneider Apo Symmar L 180mm
    - Nikkor W 210mm
    - Schneider Apo Symmar 210mm
    - Nikkor M 300mm
    - Fujinon T400mm

Do you think Sinaron W 90mm f/6.8 lens Rodenstock Grandagon N 90 mm f6.8 would be a good addition?

Thanks
    Mario

Inviato dal mio RMX3241 utilizzando Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fermat; 1-Aug-2022 at 05:19.
    Mario

Re: Help for best set of lenses

My set of 4x5 lenses...

65mm f/4 Nikkor-SW with no Center ND filter: I like the light falloff effect

90mm f/5.6 Schneider Super-Angulon XL with Schneider IVa Center ND filter: great for extreme rise for architectural images

120mm WA Nikkor: same extreme rise capability for architectural images

210mm f/9 G-Claron: replaced a 210mm f/5.6 Nikkor W

330mm f/6.8 IA Raptar: convertible to 508mm (20”) and 647mm (25 ½”)
    or the following three lenses if weight is not a problem
    400mm f/8 FUJINON-T
    500mm f/7 KOMURA
    600mm f/12 Fujinon T

Sometimes only carry the 90mm SA XL and the 330mm Raptar

Camera is either a 4x5 Sinar Norma or X. Prefer X with GG focusing for WA work and the Norma with binocular reflex viewer for 210mm or longer optics

No, I don’t think so, imo.
    You already have the 72xl and 110 ssxl with the plenty of coverage for 4x5.
    It all depends on what you want to do.
    If you are moving from 4x5 to larger formats in future, that would let you choose lenses based on those formats….

Small town, South Carolina, US

Quote Originally Posted by Fermat View Post
    Hi all
    Update on the set

My viewcamera is a AS F-line Metric +Orbix 4x5"

Here is my current list of lenses owned:

- Schneider Super Angulon XL 72mm+Centered filter
    - Schneider Super-symmar XL 110mm with Centered Filter
    - Schneider Apo Symmar 150mm
    - Nikkor W 210mm
    - Schneider Apo Symmar 210mm
    - Nikkor M 300mm
    - Fujinon T400mm

Do you think Sinaron W 90mm f/6.8 lens Rodenstock Grandagon N 90 mm f6.8 would be a good addition?

Thanks
    Mario

Inviato dal mio RMX3241 utilizzando Tapatalk
    Seems like a good spread of lenses for me - of modern lenses. Should cover all potential subjects.

I tend to do my photography in short excursions for specific projects - primarily documentation in small towns and surrounding country side on the eastern part of South Carolina, USA where distances are short, buildings are not tall and spaces are not cramped. Usually find 3 or 4 lenses will more than handle the project
    very well.

At present: 65/8 Super Angulon/65/4.5 Grandagon
    75/4.Grandagon
    *90/8 Nikkor-SW
    *135/5.6 Sironar-N/ 135/6.3 Wide Field Ektar
    150/5.6 Symmar
    *180/5.6 Sironar-N
    203/7.7 Ektar
    300/9 Apo-Ronar

* These usually are plenty for my needs.

I am progressively transforming my set of lenses.

- Rodenstock Grandagon-N 90mm 6.8
    - Schneider Super-Symmar XL 110mm
    - Rodenstock Apo Sironar-S 150mm
    - Rodenstock Apo Sironar-S 210mm
    - Nikkor M 300mm
    - Fujinon T400mm

Next steps will be
    to sell Apo Symmar L 180mm and substitute it with Rodenstock Apo Sironar-S 180mm
    to sell Rodenstock Grandagon-N 90mm 6.8 and substitute it with Schneider Super Symmar 80mm XL;

what do you think? Maybe 180mm is not needed?
    Thanks
    Mario

There is no one "best set" of lenses. It all depends on the type of images being photographed. Portrait, architecture, landscapes, advertising, still-lifes, etc.

I have carts that I pull behind me for medium format and 4x5 photography. I used to have a cart for 8x10, but that's gone now, since I decided to "pare down" a bit. I have an older style, Phase One P45+ digital back for my medium format view camera for color, and I have Mamiya RB67 film holders for black and white. With one exception, all my lenses are multi-coated. Using carts as I do, ii don't mind carrying quite a few lenses.

I like to keep my focal lengths spaced about 30 to 40% apart. With these spacings, I can pretty much fill the frame, regardless of camera placement. Where I can, I also like to have Schneider lenses. And, I use the same lenses for both black and white film, and color digital.

My medium format lenses include the following . . .

Rodenstock 35mm f4.5 Grandagon. (Which amazingly, covers 6x9.)
    Schneider 47mm SA XL.
    Schneider 58mm SA XL.
    Schneider 75mm SA.
    Schneider 100mm f5.6 Apo Symmar.
    Schneider 120mm f5.6 Apo Symmar.
    Schneider 150mm Apo Symmar.
    Schneider 180mm Apo Symmar.
    Fujinon 250mm f6.3.

For 4x5 black and white photography . . .

Schneider 47mm SA XL.
    Schneider 58mm SA XL.
    Schneider 75mm SA.
    Nikon 90mm f8 SW
    Schneider 121mm f8 SA. (Late model.)
    Schneider 150mm Apo Symmar.
    Schneider 180mm Apo Symmar.
    Fujinon 250mm f6.3.
    Nikon 360mm Tele.
    Nikon 500mm Tele.

None of my lenses require a Copal 3 shutter. It's for that reason that I have the Fujinon 250mm. (Also, better spacing between the 180mm and the 360mm.) I have the 105mm Fujinon SW, because I like having a focal length mid-way between 90mm and 121mm. I chose the Nikon f8 SW because of it's small size and it's larger 235mm image circle. Keeping the 121mm SA single-coated lens instead of swapping it out for the multi-coated 120mm SA is pure nostalgia. (If it was good 'nough for Ansel Adams, it's good 'nough for me.) I decided to have tele longer lenses, and Nikons are the best. For really long lenses, these Nikon tele's can also work for medium format. If I need something wider than 35mm for digital color, I can stitch.

That's a lot of lenses; but, I've added to my lens collection over multiple decades.

"Best set of Lenses" does not exist, just what lenses meet the image goals. ALL lenses are a set of trade offs with no ideal lens.

Difference in optical performance between the Schneider Apo Symmar L 180mm -vs- Rodenstock Apo Sironar-S 180mm would be nil.. both are modern plasmst formulas, multi coated, optimized at f22.. There might be slight differences in color rendition (would be surprised if the difference is more than 025cc units), in to out of focus rendition and Bokeh would be similar due to the non-round iris of the Copal shutter and shared optical Plasmat formula. As for focal length spacing of 150mm, 180mm, 210mm.. The 180mm is SO close the question of why is extremely pertinent to even considering adding the 180mm focal length.

If the 90mm were to be replaced, better to add something like a 72mm f5.6 Super Angulon XL.. Have this combo of 110mm SSAX & 72mm SAXL, has been a good combo.

Note the focal length spacing with the Nikkor M 300mm & Fujinon T400mm, they are IMO too close. Better focal length spacing would be 300mm then 480mm or 600mm. Non telephoto lens designs have better optical performance than telephoto lens designs, trade off being, the camera/bellows extension needed to a support a non telephoto design lens is not do-able for some view cameras..

Don't use lens focal length to "frame" the composition as so many do with digital or 35mm roll film cameras with zoom lenses. Pick the lens focal length based on image object size foreground -vs- background and how the image will be rendered into 2D flat. Then move the camera/lens combo as much as needed to create the composition intended. This could result in an uncomfortable tripod/camera position and small changes in camera/tripod position can make BIG differences in 2D composition on the ground glass & image captured.

Using the lens focal length to achieve this is not gonna work properly.

The fundamental question remains as what are your image goals? This is the root question instead of focusing on acquiring a set of the last generation modern view camera lenses.. Know modern multi coated Plasmat lenses do not do well when used at full to about 2 to 3 f-stops from their full aperture of f5.6, this is where a older Tessar formula does better for in to out of focus rendition and Bokeh if the lens has a proper round iris..

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Fermat View Post
    I am progressively transforming my set of lenses.

- Rodenstock Grandagon-N 90mm 6.8
    - Schneider Super-Symmar XL 110mm
    - Rodenstock Apo Sironar-S 150mm
    - Rodenstock Apo Sironar-S 210mm
    - Nikkor M 300mm
    - Fujinon T400mm

Next steps will be
    to sell Apo Symmar L 180mm and substitute it with Rodenstock Apo Sironar-S 180mm
    to sell Rodenstock Grandagon-N 90mm 6.8 and substitute it with Schneider Super Symmar 80mm XL;

what do you think? Maybe 180mm is not needed?
    Thanks

I think my best "set" consists of a lonely Fuji 125 CM-W. From time to time I do use a 75 or 150/180 but that is it. Think I could be happy with just that 125.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

I couldn't agree more. It's small and light with a 200mm+ IC. Perfect, as long as you can handle that unfortunate 67mm filter size -- not a problem for me!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuji125cmwf56copal.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	235585

For me neither. Got another bunch of CM-W lenses with that 67mm filter. Only lens I got that doesn't use 67mm is the SWD 90mm. But I have a SA90 that does use 67mm! win-win!

I don't get it when people whine over that 67mm filter diameter of the CM-W range. I largly prefer to hae a single set of good filters live in my bag and not worry about having the right size along than having to manage (and buy) several sets.
    Expert in non-working solutions.