Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photographing U.S. Post Office Building

Photographing U.S. Post Office Building

I have found an interesting U.S. Post Office building that I would like to photograph the architecture.

Does anyone know if there are laws that would prohibit such photography?

I am planning to photograph on a weekend when the building is closed so I would not be interupting customer traffic.

Thanks

Gary
    "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - H. Jackson Brown

Re: Photographing U.S. Post Office Building

Why not ask the Postmaster of the facility

Ask for it in writing!
    Tin Can

multiplex

Hi Gary

After 9-11 it became difficult to photograph government buildings, maybe it's different now.

Good Luck!
    John

The window on Sunday may be closed but the lobby with the PO Boxes is still open and may still have traffic.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

In the US, public photography is not a crime.

The fact that Photography is not a crime does not directly protect you from threats by law enforcement up to and including the threat of arrest and use of force. I know this because I have faced it on several occasions. In all I backed off and contacted a lieutenant at the applicable local agency. Don't argue with the police at the time. Make note of the officers name, note the exact language, walk away and contact their superiors. At that point you will be offered the option to file a report. I always tell them that I just want to make my photos and would appreciate it if they would contact the officer to let him/her know I am within my rights.

Thus far it has always worked.

Gary, there are a lot of quite striking post office buildings. I think issues with law enforcement must vary depending on where you are. Here in Chicago I would make the photo and not give it a second thought. If approached—which is not likely— I would explain what I was doing and then have a chat and maybe the officer would like to look through the weird camera. Be polite, relaxed, and move on if requested.

As Brian stated, public photography is not a crime. Many cops are photographers themselves.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Are you planning to photograph inside/on the premises or just the outside from a public road?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

All good advice. Let me add some more. Answer questions only with answers confirming what can be observed… I am a photographer taking pictures. As to intent… I am a photographer taking pictures of interesting stuff that is visible in plain site. As to providing ID… am I legally required since I’m not committing a crime, have not committed a crime, and do not intend to commit a crime. And then… please call your supervisor so we can clarify my rights. No more is required unless the police officer is a real moron. Moving on is not necessary but will more quickly put an end to the interaction and potential confrontation, and it will also put an end to your rights as a citizen to engage in lawful activities. Police are less often the problem; don’t even engage with private security other than to tell them to go away.

Search out the DHS memos on this topic and bring a copy with you. Easily found on internet. They are clear: photography of public buildings from outside or in interior public areas is not a crime and cannot, by itself, be considered “suspicious “.

Don't be bullied. You can photograph whatever you want from the public right of way including Post offices, FBI buildings, Police buildings, military bases, etc. Take a look at a Google street view, for example, I bet they already have a picture of that post office.