Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Photographing U.S. Post Office Building

Re: Photographing U.S. Post Office Building

Thank you to all for the comments and suggestions.

By nature I am not a confrontational person but if and when cornered I can be aggresive.

If approached by law enforcement I will comply and leave and return another time.

I had already planned to talk to the post master and explain what I would like to do and show that person some samples of my work.

Thanks again

Gary
    "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - H. Jackson Brown

USPS is one our best assets

The ONLY reliable way to contact all USA citizens and others

When the Internet fails, we will get letters, as the workers, walk, drive to each home

So it goes
    Tin Can

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Great information. Don’t miss the important words, “on Postal Service™ premises.”

Drew Wiley

Well, Tin Can, USPS does a pretty good job around here of almost daily delivering a certain amount of other people's mail to us, and ours to others. Even if only two letter are involved, one will inevitably not be ours. A complete lack of discipline these days. Repetitive complaints fall on deaf ears.

Thanks for the link,

USPS: https://about.usps.com/postal-bullet.../info_005.html

and yes I did read all the information.
    "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - H. Jackson Brown

Not here

They also deliver my huge boxes

Truly small town and polite

I could get a PO Box and walk the 1/4 mile, which I do when shipping

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Well, Tin Can, USPS does a pretty good job around here of almost daily delivering a certain amount of other people's mail to us, and ours to others. Even if only two letter are involved, one will inevitably not be ours. A complete lack of discipline these days. Repetitive complaints fall on deaf ears.
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Well, small towns aren't always polite. Mine was, cause our next door neighbor just a ranch away was not just a cattleman, but also local law enforcement as well as the local mail carrier. He was great unless one was a cattle rustler or other kind of lowlife. But the next little town down the road - you sure wouldn't want to be caught with a camera inside that little post office - the Postmaster there embezzled for a couple decades before he was caught. Long interesting story. He was also the slippery real-estate mover and shaker of the area, and once organized an attempt to secede from the State in order to get around normal property laws. It wasn't hard to cause that kind of mini-uproar in hill country, and still isn't; but his wannabee revolt fell apart once he was arrested for his misappropriation of Fed funds. The current secession movement, involving about 20 scruffy people, is over wearing masks. That being almost over, no telling what the next gripe will be, perhaps against game wardens. Always something.

Steve's rule 'sez;

"Shoot 'till they throw you out"...

Worst case would be private security gourds, but tell 'em to beat it if shooting from public property... Just be nice...

Steve K

Drew Wiley

I don't think so. You'd be surprised just how many private security firms hire ex-cons, because they can't find anyone else willing to do that kind of boring job cheap. More than once I'm seen a private security guard recklessly pull and aim a gun. I once worked where everyone feared the security guard himself more than potential armed robbers. As an ex-con, he sometimes openly spilled his thoughts about his next big heist, and was trigger-happy to boot. The security firm itself was run by a retired SF cop, who had easy access to those types.

And outdoor private property guards? You mean the ones with AK47's guarding "medicinal" crop fields?

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    I have plans to photograph a Colonial Revival post office in my neighbourhood that's on the National Register of Historic Places. I intend to tell the postmaster/mistress in advance what I'm doing and that I'll be showing up with an 8x10 camera. Can't think of a reason why I wouldn't tell them. Besides, being neighbourly will help when I get to step #2, which is arranging to photograph a 1940 New Deal mural inside the building. It appears that there isn't a single decent photograph of this mural, which I would like to correct.
    Sounds like a good plan.