Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Planning Roadtrip for June in Middle/Western USA

Re: Planning Roadtrip for June in Middle/Western USA

I get the yearly NP pass. I'm many decades away from qualifying for the senior lifetime pass, but I actually have a disability that may qualify me for that type of pass. I just haven't applied for it.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs is worth a day, and of course there's Pike's Peak.
    Most Walmarts will let travelers overnight in their parking lot if you get desperate.
    Yosemite rangers don't like---I mean really don't like---out of bounds campers, so beware.
    Several lighthouses on the Pacific Coast have been converted into hostels---cheap accommodations maybe worth checking out.
    Have a great trip!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Those hostels sound interesting! I've slept in Wal-Mart lots before. Pretty easy.

To be extra clear: I was not planning on camping out in a non-designated area, with a tent and all of that. I was merely thinking about situations like what I did at the Grand Canyon last time I was there - I arrived late, and saw the sunset. Then I setup a night shot, tripped the shutter, and went to sleep in the car I was borrowing from family. I woke early, closed the shutter, and stayed up for sunrise.

I agree with the others on many of the points they've made, so I won't go there. I'll give a few recommendations in the area closest to where I live.

When you get to Crescent City, CA, find and drive the Howland Hill Road. (It is a one-lane dirt road with pullouts for passing. Don't do it right after a rain, but any other time it is fine, in any vehicle other than a huge RV.) It will take you from the south end of town through some redwoods, coming out at the Smith River. From there you can find something called the North Back Road, to put you back on your route. If you were to drive all that straight, it would cost you and extra hour to hour and a half. But you'll probably want to stop and hike the loop in the Stout Grove, which is maybe a mile long?

My favorite parts of the Oregon Coast are between Brookings and Gold Beach, mostly because they are less crowded than the northern portion, which I can see you are skipping - good choice! In Boardman State Park you can access Harris Beach, Whaleshead Beach and Lone Ranch Beach quite easily. Near where the Pistol River enters the ocean is a long stretch with several pullouts right above the beach - this area is called Myers beach. I have a few photos from these places in the "Coast" gallery at my web page.

OK, at the risk of disagreeing with some of the others, I have to add a bit more. I grew up in Wyoming, and spent quite a bit of time in the Wind River Mountains. I don't think there is much you can see there without backpacking. Yes, I know, Square Top Mountain from the Lower Green River Lake, and there are a few other spots that aren't too bad that you can drive to, but those generally involve a fair bit of dirt road driving.

For easy to access mountain terrain, consider the Beartooth Highway, and the previously mentioned Ouray to Silverton to Durango route. For either of those you will need to do a bit of research as to when the highways open.

Have fun!

I ran into a young woman last fall who was traveling in her car. In addition to Walmarts, she was using Planet Fitness. Apparently, if you have a membership they let you park overnight in their lot, since they are open 24/7. You could then get a shower...

Thanks Gregg, I'll take a look at those locations!

Also just earlier today I was told about that Planet Fitness thing. They have a map of locations on their website. I may get a membership - may be perfect for some of the longer stretches on the way west and back east, and on the Pacific coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I was talking about sleeping in a parking lot for a few hours, not full-on camping with a firepit and whatever.
    Got it. Sorry for over-reacting. Even so, it's not hard to appreciate that the parks have solid reasons to ask that you not overnight outside campgrounds while you're in the park.
    cheers
    Tom

An hour south of Yosemite Village is Mariposa Grove Giant Sequoia Park and Old Grizzly. The trees are huge and the park is amazing. Easy walking around
    https://goo.gl/maps/j88d6xRj6CpB4zEL6

In the Tioga Pass stretch of 120 there are several developed campgrounds, some are crowded others not so much, at least early on weekdays when someone leaves
    Saddlebag Lake, the highest elevation lake in CA that you can drive to, is a favorite of ours.
    Virginia Lakes has some fine undeveloped camping areas and excellent homemade pie at the little lodge!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    There's a lifetime pass available for all the National Parks. You only need one for yourself and all the people in your car. The pass also gives discounts sometimes at the visitor stops in case you want to pick up some souvenirs.
    Only if you're a senior. But this works if you have one senior in your party for sure.