Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adjusting tabs to hold lens board on Chamonix 45 N-2

Adjusting tabs to hold lens board on Chamonix 45 N-2

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Appears the solution to this problem is to use only Chamonix lens boards designed specifically for this camera, Done.

Another "penny wise, pound foolish" issue as the cost savings from using generic Linhof Technika style lens boards could result in floppy lens board/lens to camera causing long list of problems including the very real risk of having the lens fall off the camera... which will incur far greater cost than would be saved by using a non Chamonix lens board.

Lens board attachment and retention to the camera's front standard is basic, if any camera fails to have absolutely secure and positive lens board with lens retention, that camera should be a non-starter, non-owner based on this aspect of the camera alone. There is absolutely zero excuse to design in a iffy-marginal lens board/lens to front standard retention system, zero.

Bernice
    Of course — I’m merely pointing out that since each one costs $100, other options exist to those that cannot afford “the solution”. Everything in life is a compromise.

Re: Adjusting tabs to hold lens board on Chamonix 45 N-2

Carbon fiber Chamonix lens boards... Why _?_
    No ponder why they cost what they do.

https://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/a...ies/lensboards

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    Of course — I’m merely pointing out that since each one costs $100, other options exist to those that cannot afford “the solution”. Everything in life is a compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Carbon fiber Chamonix lens boards... Why _?_
    No ponder why they cost what they do.

https://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/a...ies/lensboards

Bernice
    Carbon fiber is not as expensive as it used to be even 10 years ago, now, non-aerospace grade carbon fiber is $10/pound. But to your point, “why?” — I don’t know, it’s certainly unnecessary.

I have been informed that CF is quite toxic in the manufacturing stage with it's ultra fine toxic dust that some poor soul will be exposed to making that lensboard etc... Not enough benefit for added cost/weight, someone's risk making it...

Plenty of other choices...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    I have been informed that CF is quite toxic in the manufacturing stage with it's ultra fine toxic dust that some poor soul will be exposed to making that lensboard etc... Not enough benefit for added cost/weight, someone's risk making it...

Plenty of other choices...

Steve K
    Workers in toxic environments wear masks with filters selected to prevent inhaling dangerous minerals and particles. Not only boards, how about tripods and thousands of other products that use carbon fiber? SHould we just stop production of products? Other materials require protection as well. How about chemicals for film manufacturing and development?

rank beginner

Bernice is right. The optimal solution is a Chamonix board. This thread was never meant to be a criticism of Chamonix's service or products. Both are exemplary.

The other solutions, sub-optimal though they may be, have the usual appeal of DIY work-arounds, as evidenced by the amount of discussion here.

Many thanks to Bernice for providing those measurements and the explanation of tolerances.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard Kelly View Post
    Bernice is right. The optimal solution is a Chamonix board. This thread was never meant to be a criticism of Chamonix's service or products. Both are exemplary.

The other solutions, sub-optimal though they may be, have the usual appeal of DIY work-arounds, as evidenced by the amount of discussion here.

Many thanks to Bernice for providing those measurements and the explanation of tolerances.
    I bought a couple of Chamonix lens boards to go with my 45H-1 camera. They're made very well and have velvet on the inside for good light protection. And they're very light and of course are built to fit their cameras well. Likewise, their film holders are also made well

rank beginner

That's true. I have one of their holders. It's a thing of beauty, as well as a delight to use.