Thread: Ansel Adams Exhibit, Scott Nichols Gallery

Ansel Adams Exhibit, Scott Nichols Gallery

Currently on the gallery website in celebration of Ansel's birthday, February 20th.

http://www.scottnicholsgallery.com/artists/ansel-adams/

Re: Ansel Adams Exhibit, Scott Nichols Gallery

Good to see unfamiliar images.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Currently on the gallery website in celebration of Ansel's birthday, February 20th.

http://www.scottnicholsgallery.com/artists/ansel-adams/
    Thanks Merg! I missed that entirely, and agree with Philip that it's nice to see some unfamiliar work of his. On an unrelated note, earlier I was perusing Brett's collection of portfolios at Lodima Press and came across a dedication to Brett from your father that is quite a refreshing respite from the usual word salad found alongside the narrative-driven imagery so prevalent nowadays: "To speak for photographs so clearly eloquent would be a foolish exercise in arrogance, for there is no contrivance, no message, no hidden meaning here, only a concern with form, design, and beauty. An adventure in discovery for all of us."
    Mark Minard
    www.markminard.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark NY View Post
    Thanks Merg! I missed that entirely, and agree with Philip that it's nice to see some unfamiliar work of his. On an unrelated note, earlier I was perusing Brett's collection of portfolios at Lodima Press and came across a dedication to Brett from your father that is quite a refreshing respite from the usual word salad found alongside the narrative-driven imagery so prevalent nowadays: "To speak for photographs so clearly eloquent would be a foolish exercise in arrogance, for there is no contrivance, no message, no hidden meaning here, only a concern with form, design, and beauty. An adventure in discovery for all of us."
    Hi Mark, nice to hear from you again; hope all goes well with you. I also agree with Philip, precisely my reason for posting more Ansel photographs, some unfamiliar.

Yes, that's a good quote, and a very honest appraisal of Brett's work from someone who knew him well. Brett and my father had a forty year friendship and many travels together, seeking form, design, and beauty. As a youngster I was fortunate to travel with them, and the influence was too great to overcome; I guess photography was my calling!

Best,
    Merg

Ray Van Nes

Lovely. He must have sold the architectural images that I saw at Scott Nichols before he moved of a university done in the late 20s. They were exquisite.