Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I make my Graflex Crown Graphic's ground glass brighter?

Re: How do I make my Graflex Crown Graphic's ground glass brighter?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Crisp View Post
    The unusual lines-facing backward nature of the fresnel is what makes machining necessary when converting to other screens. At least that is my understanding. I don't think shimming cuts it. Why so many used cameras (particular the baby ones) have the fresnel gone I cannot explain. They don't break. Lots of people who stop down probably don't know what they are missing.
    When first offered in, IIRC, 1949 the fresnel was optional. Earlier cameras didn't come with one.

Putting a fresnel in front of the GG has two effects. It shifts the GG backwards and out of register with the film plane. Optically, it shifts the plane of best focus ~ 1/3 of the fresnel's thickness and out of register with the film plane.

Graflex Inc.'s solution? Pacemaker Graphics' GG rests on bosses on the focusing panel. The bosses on focusing panels intended to be used with a Graflex-issued fresnel are lower than the bosses on focusing panels not intended to be used with a fresnel.

Aftermarket fresnels should be mounted behind the GG.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Certain Exposures View Post
    Thank you! I will try this out. I don't have a grid but I could use one so I might try that too.
    if you have a printer or copy shop nearby you can make the grid on acetate or overhead transparency film . you can make the squares any way you want
    you can make crop lines for film holders, you can make reminders for compositional rules you like ( or dislike ) too. you don't have to write on your GG
    you just trim the plastic and slip it under the clips that hold your glass in place ( so it on the viewing side of glass and
    can be removed and replaced with a bunch of different versions ... depending on your mood and needs.

I've got one installed around 30 years ago and it's been working fine. mine's not fancy it's just boring squares IDK around 1/8" apart..

One ? we have missed

Are you using the focus 'hood' or a darkcloth

I cannot use a folding hood as it admits too much light

I use a dark cloth always, some use a black Tee shirt
    Tin Can

Post Re: How do I make my Graflex Crown Graphic's ground glass brighter?

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    One ? we have missed

Are you using the focus 'hood' or a darkcloth

I cannot use a folding hood as it admits too much light

I use a dark cloth always, some use a black Tee shirt
    I use the hood. I try to avoid using a darkcloth (my jacket) whenever I can because I often work in high-traffic areas. I've had passersby scare me to death when they wait around for me to emerge from the cloth. I've also had vagrants threaten to knife me or harass me (no, they're never a subject of my work), so I try to set up, focus, and break down ASAP and make sure I don't obscure my peripheral vision long. The less of a target I look like and the quicker I can set up and get out, the better.

Does anyone have a link to a good video that shows the step by step process of removing and reinstalling the ground glass before I play doctor?

Quote Originally Posted by Certain Exposures View Post
    Does anyone have a link to a good video that shows the step by step process of removing and reinstalling the ground glass before I play doctor?
    Well it turns out a video isn't necessary. I just did it! The ground glass is just as dim. Worth a shot though.

Edit: My Graflex Crown Graphic had a fresnel in front of the ground glass. It turns out someone made marks on the fresnel with sharpie. I might add gridlines to my ground glass another day.

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by Certain Exposures; 27-Feb-2022 at 09:47. Reason: Adding information

If your Fresnel is the original, the smooth side is supposed to go forward toward the camera lens. It helps -- a little, and back in the day lots of view cameras did not have Fresnels. Personally, I find the pop-out shade, though a nifty and durable design and a good ground glass protector, inadequate for serious composition and focusing. And it makes using a loupe problematic.

If you have an accurate bed scale, and/or a working rangefinder, the metal/spring frame on the front standard is the brightest 'viewfinder' you can have. And it frames things accurately and automatically adjusts for different focal lengths, even if the rangefinder does not.

Agree, a Sport Finder is best many times

Even Technika used them, some adjustable

If your Fresnel is the original, the smooth side is supposed to go forward toward the camera lens. It helps -- a little, and back in the day lots of view cameras did not have Fresnels. Personally, I find the pop-out shade, though a nifty and durable design and a good ground glass protector, inadequate for serious composition and focusing. And it makes using a loupe problematic.

If you have an accurate bed scale, and/or a working rangefinder, the metal/spring frame on the front standard is the brightest 'viewfinder' you can have. And it frames things accurately and automatically adjusts for different focal lengths, even if the rangefinder does not.
    Tin Can

I find the little peep optical sight, even with the proper mask, easy to resist. I just take them off.

I find the little peep optical sight, even with the proper mask, easy to resist. I just take them off.
    I ignored them for the longest time, but took a peek during night exposures, and found stuff at the edges of the frame I needed to take a closer look on the (dim) GG, so now a new step when in the dark...

Steve K