Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Shipping Cases

Hard Shipping Cases

what do they call those hard sided aluminium cases they use for shipping - like sound equipment etc - I'm sure there's an actual name for the things...

also, I was sure there was a company in Edmonton that custom made them that someone pointed to on here once (not strebor), but now I'm here I can't actually find them. I think they also made cases for the military etc

thanks!
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Hard Shipping Cases

Anvil cases are the standard for traveling rock bands...

Hard Shipping Cases

Calzone is also a brand

Frankly, I love my Lightwares... easier on the walls too

Hard Shipping Cases

Ditto Lightware. Plus the scuzzy outer bag is a pretty good deterrent
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Hard Shipping Cases

Had Anvil.

Switched to Lightware.

Never looked back.

Eric Biggerstaff

Hard Shipping Cases

Lightware makes excellent products.

Go to www.lightware.com
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Hard Shipping Cases

yes, I've used lightware, but we need something probably custom made and tougher than Lightware for insurance purposes.
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Hard Shipping Cases

Your local heavy metal music shop will probably have the connections to locally made shipping boxes. The hardware and coated plywood is all the same and you might be able to save $ by customizing the interior padding yourself.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Hard Shipping Cases

in music they're called road cases. they come in a couple of varieties ... the normal ones, which offer enough protection for when you're going to supervise the handling of your gear, and the full ATA approved flight cases, for when you're trusting your gear to roadies or the airline baggage gorillas. the flight cases are extra heavy, and typically have a case-within-a-case construction, with some kind of foam or spring suspension. they weigh a ton and are expensive.

Hard Shipping Cases

Anvil, Calzone already mentioned and several others all make cases that are ATA rated meaning that they are rated by the Airline Transoprt Association as constructed to be impervious to damage when checked. Neither Lightware nor any of the other photo specific cases are ATA rated AFAIK, thus if something is damaged in transit you might have a tough time with an insurance claim. Rimowa Tropicana cases might be ATA rated but don't recall.

Tim, you don't want to pay the price to have either Anvil or Calzone or any of their competitors custom make a case for you. You are way bettter off searching eBay on Anvil, etc.....finding one that is in decent shape and customizing the interior to meet your needs, or send it back to the manufcturer to meet your needs. You can also checkk government surplus sales for same. About 10 years ago I got 6 barely used Anvil cases that way for $50 each; kept one and sold the others. I still use that one case when I need to haul around or ship my Horseman monorail. It is literally bombproof but you can tell that when you pick it up ... the case itself weighs more than 20 pounds. Anvil cases, btw are also the standard for many professional photographers, network camera people and cinematographers .... all for when they are checking equipment on a plane.