Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard Shipping Cases

Hard Shipping Cases

Years ago, I got really fine government surplus instrument cases at surplus stores. They were about 30-36" square, and about the same in height. They had two clamp hinges on each of the four sides and had aluminum rims but the cases were fiberglass. They seal so tightly that there was even a screw-out bleeder valve to adjust air pressure. They were cheap and incredibly tough.
    I used to carry the heavy Ascor 800 WS strobe power packs(40lbs.) in each, heavily packed in foam rubber. The cases were almost indestructible. The only down side was the heavy 'tips' I had to provide at each airport where I changed planes. Four heavy cases carrying Ascor packs. It used to cost me about $5o at every airport for SkyCap tips, in addition to extra airline insurance....in handling these 16 various cases.

Look around for some REAL surplus stores. Not the ones that carry sleeping bags, ...the ones that really carry shipping containers and industrial stuff and similar. The containers I used even had a govt. sereial number moulded into the fiberglass to confirm govt. standards.

Well worth your time, if you really want to find some Ft. Knox type shipping containers.

Hard Shipping Cases

Tim, they are called 'flight cases'...

Hard Shipping Cases

This is a good site to get an overview of the various 'serious' cases on the N. American market: www.apgcases.com.

Hard Shipping Cases

I have a US military surplus computer monitor case - sorta like what Richard wrote about. Incredibly heavy duty but lighter than you'd think - its some kinda super plastic and aluminum. I bought it for a flying around project but they flew me on the company plane so I got special treatment for my gear and never used it. I'll sell it cheap, write me if you're interested. A few bio-hazard stickers to scare off the thieves and you're good to go.

Hard Shipping Cases

here is one out of left field; Zarges. They build cases to NATO military spec. waterproff and dustproof (while closed of course). I have a couple and they are handsdown the strongest case I've ever owned inclusing Calzone, Anvil, Pelican, Zero-Haliburton and Lightware.

http://www.zarges.de/prod_log.php?chid=11&lang=int

Hard Shipping Cases

Here is one out of left field; Zarges. Zarges builds cases to NATO military spec. waterproof and dustproof (while closed of course). I have a couple and they are hands down the strongest case I've ever owned inclusing Calzone, Anvil, Pelican, Zero-Haliburton and Lightware.

Zarges

Gray Matter Images

Hard Shipping Cases

If your looking to build your own check out, www.reliablehardware.com/index.asp
    I'm currently in the middle of building several cases of my own and I am using these guys for the extrusion and hardware. I figure by the time I am finished I'll have invested about 30% of what a new Anvil case would cost.
    I dream in color and see in black and white.
    http://www.graymatterimages.com

Hard Shipping Cases

Interestingly, the most popular (and best in IMHO) case used for the transport of delicate and expensive motion picture equipment is the one brand that hasn't been mentioned.... A&J. they are located in Los Angeles and I believe are very close to LAX. They design and manufacture all kinds of ATA shippng cases including a type that looks like the typical steel and aluminum edged/cornered case but featuring corrugated plastic sides that reduce weight considerably. I've worked with this company for nearly thrity years and have had them build a couple of hundred different cases for me. Who uses them? How about Panavision, Continental Camera Mounts, Stratton Camera, Claremont Camera and the former Victor Duncan. One of their best features is over-the-valance latches, very important if your case sits on the the tarmac in the rain! A&J also makes kick-ass tripod cases that won't roll around in the bed of your pickup and are guaranteed for life!