Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: adox cms 20 ii

adox cms 20 ii

Anyone have any experience with this film? Steve O'Nions shot some in 35mm and the detail that film had was amazing compared to FP4+. Also what developer do you use? There aren't many listed on the Massive Dev app but two of them are readily available at B&H, D76 and Adox IV

Re: adox cms 20 ii

If you want any sort of useable exposure range/scale and emulsion speed you really need to use a special purpose low contrast/high speed developer. Adox/SPUR Adotech IV is the best commercially available option by a long shot. It’s expensive, but remember you’re trying to force an inherently very short scaled film into applications it was not designed for.

With Adotech you’re looking realistically at a meter setting (EI) somewhere in the 10-20 range. Closer to the low end depending on your preferences.

I wouldn’t recommend this type of film for general purpose photography - especially large format for a variety of reasons. Really, you get the best results when you use a film for its inherent characteristics instead of working against them, so I would suggest instead perhaps reserving films like CMS 20 for instances or applications when you need high contrast.

Of course you’ll get other opinions, and people have different aesthetic goals/tastes so “your mileage may vary”, as is often said.

When he shot it, Steve said it didn't handle Contrasty situations well. Basically treat it like a slide film. He also shot it at 12. I thought the results were amazing.

I've shot quite a few rolls of CMS 20 II, rated at EI 12, and developed in Adotech developer. If you use the recommended developer and nail your development time / technique (and expose at EI 12), you shouldn't get overly contrasty negs. I've followed Mr. O'Nions on YouTube for a long time, but respectfully disagree with his statement about the film revealing a lot of contrast. I've shot this film in the glaring sunlight of the desert and been very pleased with the results.

I will caution you, though, that this film DEMANDS very precise technique to get the best results, tripod mounted, mirror lock, cable release, careful focus, extra attention to DOF, bang on exposure, dead on development time/temp, etc. It's a demanding film...no question...but, one can achieve fantastic results with it! I wish it was available in 120 roll film.

I also suggest to use Adotec developer.
    I don’t use the tripod, but use the rule 1/2f fot the shutter time (1/250 for a 105mm lens), because with such definition camera movement and vibration is a risk.

I use it. Tried in many, many developers, including Caffenol. The best of the lot: Adotech IV. The developer recommended by Adox. They ain't kidding, either!

Another vote ISO 12 and the Adotech IV developer.

To expand on Alan9940's comment above - precise technique extends to the development. When I was using it I recall having tiny dark spots on the negative - light spots in the print. I had not even noticed them until viewing the enlargement. As I recall I traced this down to not having a very clean tank when devloping (communal darkroom at the time) - and finding somewhere that any impurities, especially metal ions, can cause issues with the development. I started washing/scrubbing everything before using it, made sure to use distilled water, and didn't have the problem again. (Good practice anyway...)

Also note that because of the nature of the emulsion there are some specific things for this film - like no pre-wash - that might be different from your normal routine, so make sure you read through the film and developer instructions.

Or get a bigger camera and have fun while making Great negatives to enlarge less with much more flexibility.(sorry)

I forgot to say that I shoot it at EI 12.

POTA is another alternative developer for CMS 20 II