Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's the BEST ultra-light weight, compact 4x5 tripod you've actually used

Re: What's the BEST ultra-light weight, compact 4x5 tripod you've actually used

Why a big tripod?

I carry a tabletop tripod, very useful

I also use a very lightweight Printed 4X5 scale focused

Flashbulbs weigh very little with a capacitor/tiny battery
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Why a big tripod?

I carry a tabletop tripod, very useful
    That's right. And if you need to take a picture more than a foot off of the ground, just out the table-top tripod on your head You can't do that with a regular tripod!

Gitzo 1325 CF tripod w/1370 magnesium head for regular/heavy duty work.

Going light: Feisol "Tall Traveller" tripod w/photo-clam head - works great with 4x5 Calumet/Gowland "Pocket View" camera, carried with either a single 135mm lens, or with 90/135/210 lenses. This tripod also works well with my 3lb "minimalist" (cheap DIY plywood 5x7), but not with my heavier L-45A/57 cameras (which weigh just over 7 lbs.).

The above mentioned Feisol tripod was (smartly!) supplied with a load hook (screws into the bottom of either the "shorty" or regular column) which provides a convenient means of hanging whatever bag I might be carrying...adding a bit more stability when needed.

Do keep in mind what is being asked of the camera, as, for example, such a lightweight tripod, even when topped with a "lightweight" camera, might not be adequate at a near maximum bellows extension and/or a large heavy lens and/or a large (#3 and up) shutter, unless exposures are long enough to mitigate shutter-induced vibration. Lots of variables to consider!

Another nice feature of the Feisol (shared by the Gitzo) is the ability to spread the legs through several intermediate locked settings (can also set between these in a pinch) right down to ground level...but of equal importance being that this feature can also add extra stability, especially when setting up on uneven ground.

Tripod hat, great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    That's right. And if you need to take a picture more than a foot off of the ground, just out the table-top tripod on your head You can't do that with a regular tripod!
    Tin Can

FLM Tripods - They have many to choose from . I wanted Tall and sturdy so went with the CP34-L4II. FLM makes a nice travel hybrid CP30-M5 or the CP30-S4 both under 3 pounds. You can also get replacement parts when/if needed.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

30 Dist 4x5 Norma Monocular Viewer by Nokton48, on Flickr

The original Leitz Tiltall is surprisingly lightweight. Right now I am building a new to me highly portable 8x10 Sinar Norma. It's stable and solid and can be carried around is one hand for a while
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Tin Can

Thanks for the replies (and the humor) everyone. I bought a tripod to test a couple days ago and it arrived in the mail today. There's a wind warning out so there couldn't be a better day for determining its worth. None of you mentioned this particular model so I can share my thoughts on it later if you're interested. If this tripod doesn't suit me I'll go with one of the first options listed here and work my way down.

hahahaha that what you see is what you get analog version. 2ff!

Lightweight with ease to carry too.

Bernice