Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the BEST ultra-light weight, compact 4x5 tripod you've actually used

What's the BEST ultra-light weight, compact 4x5 tripod you've actually used

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Gotta wonder, how would a GOOD wood/composite surveyors tripod or a GOOD cinema tripod system fit into these charts?

Bernice
    Never seen one of those come in at less than 12 lbs. OP is looking for something in the 3 lbs range or thereabouts. If you know of brands/models that fit the bill please let us know.

Re: What's the BEST ultra-light weight, compact 4x5 tripod you've actually used

I'll spout a little heresy here:

Sure a tank of a tripod is more stable in windy conditions or when you're using that 12 lb camera at full bellows extension with a 450mm lens. But, all the camera has to do to record a shake-free image is to hold still for whatever fraction of a second (or multiple of seconds) you're exposing at. That's not so hard to accomplish with a lightweight tripod.

So, for field work where the gear is lightweight to start with and weight and portability are real considerations, a lighter tripod and head makes a lot of sense.

For field work I use a Bogen (Manfrotto) 3205 set of legs and the 3-way (Junior) 3025 head. It's not the lightest around, but significantly less expensive than carbon fiber (especially used) and gets my camera to higher than eye level if I pull the legs in a bit from maximum spread. If I need extra height in the field, I'll stack up rocks or logs or whatever. It holds my 3 lb Wista DX with whichever of my lightweight lenses I wish just fine (the heaviest of which is a Nikkor 90mm f/8 at 12+oz.). I can't remember when I had a negative ruined by camera movement on that tripod. In questionable situations, I have a nylon bucket with me that I can fill with rocks and hang from the center column (alternately, I'll hang my pack on one of the leg locks).

But, I'm careful when using a lightweight tripod. My tips: Have a lightweight kit to begin with (my heaviest load for the tripod in the field is under 4 lbs). Set up so the tripod/camera is well balanced and braced. In windy situations, shield the tripod from the wind and/or wait till the wind stops plus hang a weight from the tripod for stability. Watch reflections in the ground glass to see when the camera has stopped moving, and use faster shutter speeds if possible. Develop and use good cable-release technique; keep the release curved and release using gentle, steady pressure - no jerking or pulling. Still is still; it doesn't matter if it weighs 100 lbs or 3.

FWIW, I usually just carry my tripod in a hand when hiking, but can strap it onto my lumbar pack when I need both hands for scrambling, etc.

I've got a nice wooden heavy-weight tripod with a nice (heavy) three-way head that I use from the car and in the studio, but when I'm hiking all day in desert canyons, etc., I never bring it with me.

Best,

Doremus

Drew Wiley

A setup that looks wobbly is wobbly. If I have to stand around waiting for a setup to stop vibrating, even after a few seconds, forget that toy tripod mentality! You might get one crack at it, and half a second might as well be half an hour is there are wind gust or other vibration issues. Yeah, we get good at timing things. And maybe some people can afford to machine-gun a whole stack of sheet film per day, hoping that at least one shot will turn out good. ... Should have spent that amount of money on a better tripod instead.

get a light weight tripod and from the center post from underneath, hang your back pack to give it the added weight to help steady it. use a bungie cord so the pack is in tension with the tripod, holding it down like a spring.

then after a few outings you'l probably go back to carrying the beast.... i did.

The travel tripod I use is a carbon FLM, I believe the model is the CP-26 and I have an FLM ball-head on it. FLM products are fairly expensive, but very well made. The North American importer is a member of this forum, "Ari" and he can also be contacted at ari@flmcanada.com. I've met Ari at a couple of trade shows, and corresponded with him by email, and he is knowledgeable and great to do business with. He knows the entire FLM product line, uses cameras up to 8x10 himself, and can offer you reliable advice. (No, I have no business connection, but I like him.)

P.S. I have a heavier Gitzo CF tripod which is my preferred tripod for more general use, but the FLM is the one I take on trips (packed inside my carry-on) and if I am going to be hiking any distance .

Small town, South Carolina, US

I have owned the original carbon fiber Gitzo G1228 4 section tripod (with center column removed) for many years. Can't imagine putting 11lbs on top of any lighter tripod. And I own a super light/super small Sirui for travel with small 35 and 120 cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    I'll spout a little heresy here:

Sure a tank of a tripod is more stable in windy conditions or when you're using that 12 lb camera at full bellows extension with a 450mm lens. But, all the camera has to do to record a shake-free image is to hold still for whatever fraction of a second (or multiple of seconds) you're exposing at. That's not so hard to accomplish with a lightweight tripod.

So, for field work where the gear is lightweight to start with and weight and portability are real considerations, a lighter tripod and head makes a lot of sense.
    Best,

Doremus
    I can tell you've never hiked in the Wind River Mountains of Wyoming!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    get a light weight tripod and from the center post from underneath, hang your back pack to give it the added weight to help steady it. use a bungie cord so the pack is in tension with the tripod, holding it down like a spring.
    That's a good idea if your tripod happens to hang a hook on the bottom of the column -- most don't. And besides, a backpack is likely to be way too heavy. That's why I simply drape my camera bag over the top -- with the shoulder strap around the three legs. Works great for increasing stability -- and with the top of the camera bag open, I've got everything at my fingertips -- lenses, filters, film holders, meter, cable release, etc. etc.

A lot of good advice here. I might add that attention should be paid to your own height, as it dictates a comfortable working height for the tripod. (And remember that terrain often calls for spreading the legs wider at a loss of height.) Other factors being equal, taller tripods are heavier--sad but true for us high-rise guys (and gals).
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

Gitzo carbon series II, I’m using GT2540 (1,4 kg with central column, no head, 4 section) for ~20 years mainly with MF with a biggest load ~4 kg (Hass 500, converter Mutar x2, Sonnar 250, lens support, head) and and never looking around for better option for hiking.