Thread: Linhof 13x18 enlarger add-on for Technika

Linhof 13x18 enlarger add-on for Technika

Anyone familiar with this piece of equipment? It snaps to the Linhof Technika instead of the regular back, making it into an enlarger. It is rather small, since it has a cold-light tube as a light source. It is an interesting item, with a built-in 13x18cm gradual ND-filter to make the light source really uniform. I bought it a while ago, complete with a power source and a frame for holding a 13x18 glass negative (I guess, rather than a film, which bends in the empty frame), but the cold-light source is broken.

I am now thinking about modifying it for LED light source, but I wanted to first ask how rare this piece of equipment really is, before I damage it by modifications. It really is quite beautiful and I cannot even google its picture. I only found one reference to it in an old Linhof price list.

Re: Linhof 13x18 enlarger add-on for Technika

My Linhof TECHNIKA general catalog shows the cold light illuminating head and the condenser enlarging attachment along with an auxiliary color head. You might consider stashing it away and (for less money than a LED conversion) picking up a 100% working 4x5 enlarger. I've passed up on a few 4x5 enlargers that were priced (well) under $100. More than once I have tried to modify or repair a piece of equipment and spent more doing that than just acquiring another piece of working equipment.... one time I picked a DURST enlarger that was "minus just a few parts". It was like throwing money down a rabbit's hole trying to find OEM replacement parts - finally gave up.

I agree with Greg. Especially if you're going to do the LED modification yourself with a DIY approach, I would start with any old enlarger you can get your hands on. Heck, doesn't even have to be 4x5 as long as the chassis is sturdy and the head can be raised sufficiently far to allow for whatever you want to do with it. Since you'll have full control over the nature of the light source, you can relatively easily Frankenstein e.g. a 6x9cm enlarger into a 4x5" one.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo43 View Post
    Anyone familiar with this piece of equipment? It snaps to the Linhof Technika instead of the regular back, making it into an enlarger. It is rather small, since it has a cold-light tube as a light source. It is an interesting item, with a built-in 13x18cm gradual ND-filter to make the light source really uniform. I bought it a while ago, complete with a power source and a frame for holding a 13x18 glass negative (I guess, rather than a film, which bends in the empty frame), but the cold-light source is broken.

I am now thinking about modifying it for LED light source, but I wanted to first ask how rare this piece of equipment really is, before I damage it by modifications. It really is quite beautiful and I cannot even google its picture. I only found one reference to it in an old Linhof price list.
    I'm surprised you did not find these in the 13x18 catalogue.

Collectors may premium for mint, but a lot less for a broken one. I would not worry about value.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk