Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Anyone have any experience with the RH Designs Analyser Pro? Any thoughts on it?

Does Anyone have any experience with the RH Designs Analyser Pro? Any thoughts on it?

I am slowly building my darkroom. I know I want to do 4x5 work. I came across the RH Designs Analyser Pro. I was wondering what people thought about it. Can it only be used with an Ilford 500 multigrade system head?

Re: Does Anyone have any experience with the RH Designs Analyser Pro? Any thoughts on

I had one. I prefer to work using a Stopclock pro with the test strip function, but people work differently. If you use the same paper a lot, and you print a lot, the analyzer might be worth it.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Re: Does Anyone have any experience with the RH Designs Analyser Pro? Any thoughts on

I use one regularly, and it saves me a lot of time. One project requires me to switch papers (RC to FB), and having calibration on both papers allows for a quick, accurate switch to FB paper. I nearly always get a decent print on the first try, but I usually make some small adjustments for the final print on RC paper. I used test strips and an exposure correction table (if switching filter/paper grades) before getting the Analyzer Pro. This worked well, but was less accurate and slower.

I believe there are two versions of the Analyser Pro, one for the Multigrade heads and one for standard heads.

I haven't used the Analyser Pro as i have the MG500 controller.

Mike

I use an Analyser Pro with a DeVere 5108 enlarger. Its a great timer and enlarging meter, really helps narrow down on the number of test strips required to produce a usable print, or at least shortens the starting point. The Analyser 500 is made for the Ilford 500 multigrade head, the Analyser Pro can be used with any enlarger. Are you buying this new or off the auction site? If at auction, who knows what you'll get or if it will work!! Have you watched the videos?
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 24-Jul-2020 at 08:18.

I have the analyzer pro for Multigrade500 system. It gets me to a good basic print quickly but I have not done the fine calibrations or full scale strip. I find it does tend to limit ones creativity if you just use the analyzers recommendations. I think it is actually harder to do things like burn in corners without changing the time or settings between exposures. So I started doing the following. Get a base exposure say grade 3 at 15 seconds. Then adjust the time to 4 seconds and do 4 exposures. I can then just hit the print button for corners as often as needed. With the multigrade system you have green and blue lights so even changing to blue or green for extra burns can be a pain. It would have been really cool if it had a programable memory for repeatability during a session.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

I have been using the RH DeSigns Stop Clock Vario for years. When It arrived I set it up, learned how to use it and never went back to my old system. I’m sure that if you study the specs on the Analyser Pro and it looks as if it will do what you need you will make better and more consistent prints with less waste. And with the cost of photographic paper these days... No I don’t work for them but as you can tell I like theIr products.

I had one for a while and eventually swapped it for the Heiland Splitgrade. It's a very nice piece of equipment but the calibration process was a little labor intensive. Figure one whole night of printing for a single calibration, and you must do this for every paper and developer combo you want to use. I personally use a few so I got irritated enough at the thought of endless calibration and tweaking.

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    ...... It's a very nice piece of equipment but the calibration process was a little labor intensive. Figure one whole night of printing for a single calibration, and you must do this for every paper and developer combo you want to use. I personally use a few so I got irritated enough at the thought of endless calibration and tweaking.
    Funny thing, I've never calibrated mine and it works fine for Ilford Classic FB multigrade. But again, I only use one paper and Dektol!

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Funny thing, I've never calibrated mine and it works fine for Ilford Classic FB multigrade. But again, I only use one paper and Dektol!
    I'm a big Ansco 130 fan, it's my downfall.