Thread: Speedotron speed ring for 202vf head

Speedotron speed ring for 202vf head

I recently acquired a used Speedotron speed ring to use on a 202vf head. I assumed that the Speedotron-brand speed ring would work with any soft box, but I noticed when it arrived that the ring has “Chimera” embossed on it. Does this mean that the ring was designed to only be used with Chimera-brand soft boxes? I tried to attach a newly purchased Lumopro soft box to the ring, but wasn’t able to do it. It looked to me that the soft box’s four metal rods would have to be flexed to the point of bending beyond repair to work with the speed ring. I plan to contact Speedotron next week to see what they say, but in the meantime, does anyone on the forum have any thoughts on this? Did Speedotron make speed rings proprietary for certain brands of light modifiers? Thanks in advance.

Speedotron speed ring for 202vf head

If I understand your question correctly, in general terms, the speed ring brand needs to match the brand of the soft box you are using. While the interface to the head light is common, how it’s supported and installed on the reflector or soft box side changes brand to brand I’m afraid. I’ve been able to use other brands sometimes with minor mods but not always.

Re: Speedotron speed ring for 202vf head

Thanks. I had thought that if I purchased a Speedotron speed ring, it would be compatible with many brands of soft boxes. So I was surprised to see “Chimera” on it. I don’t think there’s any way my 24x36 Lumopro soft box can be used with it. I’m afraid I’ll break the soft box’s metal rods if I force it into shape.

Chimera rings go with Chimera softboxes (and coincidentally some other brands) As kiwi says above, the maker of the softbox should be the supplier of the speedring.
    I had never heard of Lumopro before reading this post. If Lumopro doesn't make a speedring for Speedotron, I wouldn't take the brand too seriously.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Thanks for the feedback. I guess my thinking was cockeyed, in that I thought strobe manufacturers would make their speed rings compatible with a broad range of soft boxes. I guess Speedotron had a deal with Chimera that they would manufacture speed rings that would only work with Chimera soft boxes.

Check B&H for adapters, this is a common problem

Soft box brands like Chimera will offer "speed rings" or flash head mounting rings for various flash head brands. These speed rings or mounting rings are not always interchangeable between brands as their dimensions can be different. Match the soft box brand with the same speed ring_mounting ring brand as the soft box brand.

Appears in this case, a Lumopro speed ring or mounting ring specific for the Speedotron 202vf flash head and make sure the speed ring_mounting ring matches the specific model of soft box. Some times this varies depending on brand of soft box.

Bernice

Well, it looks as if this whole thing was operator error on my part. I just gave it another go and was able to attach my cheapish Lumopro softbox to the Speedotron/Chimera speed ring. Timid fellow that I am, I just wasn’t applying enough muscle to get all four rod tips into the ring holes. Online descriptions of these speed rings do say Chimera “or other rectangular softboxes.” Thanks all for taking the time to respond.