Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linhof Technika III rangefinder focus binding with 90mm cam and bed dropped

Linhof Technika III rangefinder focus binding with 90mm cam and bed dropped

Not sure where to post this but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem on the Linhof Technika.

When I use the 90mm lens on my Technika III the bed must be dropped. For some reason, when I drop the bed the focus track starts binding when returning to infinity and it gets progressively worse with each in and out movement. It becomes tight to the point where I would not be able to get the track back to infinity without really putting pressure on the rack (which I would never do of course).

Through a process of elimination I've determined that the problem seems to stem from the 90mm cam running on either the support bar (unlikely) or the cam follower wheel (I don't know if it's supposed to actually rotate or remain stationary...) that moves in and out with the track pushing the cam driving the rangefinder.

I've talked to Nippon Photo Clinic and will probably take it in. But if anyone knows if the roller should roll... and if I can take it out and lube it or loosen it (?)... or if it's a know problem for the cam to bind in this manner, I'd love to know.

Right now I can raise the bed and easily crank the rack back to infinity without any binding or tension, then lower it again into place for the 90. But this isn't exactly the way I want to work with the camera in handheld scenarios.

Any insight to this would be great.

Thanks,

d

Re: Linhof Technika III rangefinder focus binding with 90mm cam and bed dropped

You do remove the cam before dropping or raising the bed to prevent bending it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    You do remove the cam before dropping or raising the bed to prevent bending it?
    No I don't. The hinge of the cam holder is right at the gate. So if the rack is all the way in (at infinity) there's nothing I can see that would bend the cam while opening or closing. Is that what you mean? Same with dropping the bed for 90mm setup.

I checked the cam against a straight edge and it has the slightest of slight bends - putting the bend upside down on the straight edge there might be enough room to slide a couple sheets of paper under the elevated center.

Can you expand on when to remove cams? I've never heard of this.

Thanks,

d

Quote Originally Posted by DLee View Post
    No I don't. The hinge of the cam holder is right at the gate. So if the rack is all the way in (at infinity) there's nothing I can see that would bend the cam while opening or closing. Is that what you mean? Same with dropping the bed for 90mm setup.

I checked the cam against a straight edge and it has the slightest of slight bends - putting the bend upside down on the straight edge there might be enough room to slide a couple sheets of paper under the elevated center.

Can you expand on when to remove cams? I've never heard of this.

Thanks,

d
    You’ve never read the instruction manual either. You always remove the cam when dropping or raising the camera bend so you don’t bend the cam.

What lens board is your 90mm on?

You shouldn't have to drop the bed to use the 90mm. It should be in a recessed board so that it works normally on the straight bed - otherwise the cam simply won't work (and binds as you have seen).

I have a Linhof Tech III and it has a 90mm f/6.8 Angulon on a slightly recessed board and the cam/rangefinder works perfectly without dropping the bed.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    You’ve never read the instruction manual either. You always remove the cam when dropping or raising the camera bend so you don’t bend the cam.
    Bob I know you are the Linhof Guru here but I am going to disagree. First of all I have read the instructions several times and unless it's hidden in the flash photography or in the commercial focusing section there is NO mention of removing the cam at any point in using the wide angle lens or dropping the front lens bed.

https://www.butkus.org/chinon/linhof..._iii-guide.htm

I really don't understand why the cam would be removed for dropping the bed, there is nothing in the way of the cam as the bed is dropped. If there was, the rack would not be able to be retracted back to infinity without manually pushing down on the cam so it clears the rack... and that is certainly not the case. Is this something that might have been in instruction manuals for later models?

Not trying to be disrespectful here, just trying to understand this unusual operation. Can you expand on this at all?

Thank you,

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by DLee View Post
    Bob I know you are the Linhof Guru here but I am going to disagree. First of all I have read the instructions several times and unless it's hidden in the flash photography or in the commercial focusing section there is NO mention of removing the cam at any point in using the wide angle lens or dropping the front lens bed.

I really don't understand why the cam would be removed for dropping the bed, there is nothing in the way of the cam as the bed is dropped. If there was, the rack would not be able to be retracted back to infinity without manually pushing down on the cam so it clears the rack... and that is certainly not the case. Is this something that might have been in instruction manuals for later models?

Not trying to be disrespectful here, just trying to understand this unusual operation. Can you expand on this at all?

Thank you,

Dennis
    Actually Bob, I just tried doing this operation as you describe and it's not possible. The rack needs to be pulled back and the lens standard pulled forward (onto the bed) before dropping the bed... so it's not possible to even get to the cam when dropping the bed.

Are we talking about the same thing or have I missed something here. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks again,

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    What lens board is your 90mm on?

You shouldn't have to drop the bed to use the 90mm. It should be in a recessed board so that it works normally on the straight bed - otherwise the cam simply won't work (and binds as you have seen).

I have a Linhof Tech III and it has a 90mm f/6.8 Angulon on a slightly recessed board and the cam/rangefinder works perfectly without dropping the bed.
    I have the exact same setup. My camera, with matching serial numbers for cam, camera and lens, is actually set up for the bed being in dropped position. I just checked and the rangefinder focus is way off if the bed is NOT in dropped position. Focus is dead on when dropped and as mentioned the cam must be inserted before dropping the bed. This is an original Linhof setup you can tell by the quality (it looks to me). Check the manual on pages 26 & 27, it says to drop the bed when using the 90mm lens.

I used the 90, cam, and drop bed all the time years ago and never had a problem. She's been sitting idle for a few years now and this problem has cropped up.

Cheers,

Dennis

I leave a 90mm cam on my Tek III all the time (I don't use the RF at all)... When the bed slide is all the way close to body, cam is about centered and bed can be dropped safely...

The only scenario where my cam is removed is there is a modification done to my camera where the top of the bed struts have the tip of stops filled away so bed struts can slip past the stops to be able to drop bed completely if needed for UWA work... The normal spring action keeps the stops working normally, but if you press struts completely in while operating, they will release... Only takes removal of about 1mm of inside stop tip with a file while removed from camera (do one at a time to not change bed alignment)...

Steve K

I'll have to dig my III out and look again. I seem to remember it not dropping while using the RF. Maybe I am misremembering, but the camera did go through some evolution over its manufacturing history.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome