Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linhof Technika III rangefinder focus binding with 90mm cam and bed dropped

Re: Linhof Technika III rangefinder focus binding with 90mm cam and bed dropped

Corran, Yeah I was wondering if we might have different models. Bob told me mine was made in 1956.

This might help, the RF cams should have a bend in them. This image is from a IV cam but it has a similar bent construction to a III cam... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i-img1200x956-1641721561vhyudu15.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	224789

Also be sure you are adjusting the rails back a notch.

Here is the information/manual for your Late model Technika III. Hopefully it will clear things up a little.
    It mentions the RF cam is used normally with the first and second notch of the bed drop but must be removed to prevent damage to use the third notch. In my experience the later Technika III's usually only had 2 notches, while the Early model III's usually had 3. I have seen Late models with 3 but it is not common.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13X8...ew?usp=sharing

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Technika III Wide Angle.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	224790

Quote Originally Posted by Embdude View Post
    Also be sure you are adjusting the rails back a notch.

Here is the information/manual for your Late model Technika III. Hopefully it will clear things up a little.
    It mentions the RF cam is used normally with the first and second notch of the bed drop but must be removed to prevent damage to use the third notch. In my experience the later Technika III's usually only had 2 notches, while the Early model III's usually had 3. I have seen Late models with 3 but it is not common.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13X8...ew?usp=sharing

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Technika III Wide Angle.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	224790
    Embdude, you had my hopes up there for a moment with the 'third notch' description for the drop down bed. But I soon remembered and then verified that my drop down arms have only two notches. My instructions for the III are near identical to what you posted here.

I actually do have three notches in my focusing rails; for the 90, 150, and a 10" Kodak Ektar. My 90 cam looks just like yours above and it has matching numbers for camera and lens on it.

So, yeah, I pull the lens out, drop the bed, tilt the lens and slide the track back. Focus comparison between the rangefinder and the focusing screen is accurate so I'm sure I'm doing everything correct. I'm at the point where I'll play with the camera and make some pictures and if I want to keep using it for portraits or my documentary work I'll take it to Nippon Photo Clinic and talk to them about it and maybe bite the bullet on a CLA.

Something is causing friction on the cam which starts it binding after a few in and out movements of the focusing rack. I think it's the cam roller because it doesn't actually roll. But I'm not sure it's supposed to and I'm not going to mess with it as it's a major component in the focusing system. Who knows, maybe it's this frigid weather?

Thanks for the interest and continued help in trying to solve this. It's appreciated.

Dennis

Sounds like you are setting it properly... I have a late model Technika III as well and the part that is screwed on at the rear of the rail which makes contact with the cam is stationary and does not roll.
    The cam simply rides along it so I don't see how it could create binding unless it is happening somewhere downstream in the linkage with the rangefinder... Or perhaps it is something on the standard that is binding on something.
    I suggest trying 2 things...
    1. Do not pull out the standard, just leave the on the perch. do everything else. Drop the bed to the second notch, slide the rail back and see if you get the same problem. 2. With the camera in the current positions as step 1 roll the rails forward beyond the cam and move the cam with your fingers and see if it is binding on anything internally...

my Tech III also has a 90mm cam in it, it gives no probs dropping the bed into the first notch. You always have to push back the inner rail back towards the inner sitting rail in the case.
    on my Tech III I can see that the black paint unterneath the cam has been worn off, I think its worth a try to do taht on yours..maybe it is just about a fraction of a mm thats causing this.
    stay healthy!