Thread: What can be the solution?

What can be the solution?

I wanna transfer a photo I took back in 2021 of my finance, now I don't know how to transfer that image on some kind of a shirt, or any decorative sheet or canvas. IS there any way I can do this?

Re: What can be the solution?

Don't know whether you can still find it, Liquid Light will allow you to print a negative on the shirt, think darkroom... although i don't remember it being washable.

my suspicion in this digital age there might be other options.

You can buy liquid light at B&H, but I think it may be easier to use a digital heat transfer method, also safer as I'm not sure what chemicals are in liquid light

I had a silk screen class years ago, and as I remember it involved turning an image to a half-tone screen image, print was put into a copier that outputed a film "neg" and was contact printed onto a silk screen that was coated with a bichromate emulsion that left dots + clear areas for the ink to pass through silk screen... Difficult choices involved finest DPI vs finest screen mesh sizes that would work together...

So it's like making a digital neg + halftone screen with your computer now, so slightly easier than the past "pre-digital" era..

This is a common practice for screeners, so you should find instructions online, or at a screen printing service near you... (Note/ there are limitations of tone scale available to create a full scale image)...

Screen printing is not an exact process, and tools/materials are not high precision (and ink is "blobby"), but a good printer knows how to "sidestep" many issues that come up... Taking a good screen printing class will discuss the limitations a printer will face (on a good day)... ;-)

Good luck!!!

Steve K

I've used heat transfer (iron-on) photos on T-shirts etc. Just print as normal on an ink jet printer and you're good to go. I did one about 2o years ago that's still OK. I think you can get the material at Office Max etc.

Cyanotype is another option.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    I've used heat transfer (iron-on) photos on T-shirts etc. Just print as normal on an ink jet printer and you're good to go. I did one about 2o years ago that's still OK. I think you can get the material at Office Max etc.
    This is the simple, inexpensive, fast way to go!

Looks great, but you may need to do a few tests. Just buy a few t-shirts, etc. -- also inexpensive.

How long it lasts depends on how many times it's cleaned/washed -- but you can always make a new one.

K.I.S.S.

just let a tee shirt making service do it for you. you only need to give them the image, pick a shirt n they will transfer it for you at alot less money than experimenting yourself.... plus it will be much more permanent.

A "sublimation printer" is how the T shirt makers would do it I think.

Hopefully google can help you find someone local to you.