Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpack for 4x5 or 617

Re: Backpack for 4x5 or 617

When I want the option to "wheel" the backpack behind me - ThinkTank Street Walker Rolling Backpack V2.0, or a ThinkTank Airport Antidote when carrying the backpack on my back.

Quote Originally Posted by bmikiten View Post
    I just ordered both the 20L and 24L Tenba. Good suggestion. It looks like they are configurable and will fit on as a carry-on piece of luggage.
    Brian
    Let us know how you like them, Brian.
    My 20L fits a GFX 50S II, five lenses (2 of them GF lenses, and one Canon TS-E), and digital extras like CF cards, adapter mounts, etc.
    I still have room for another body with lens mounted, and the side and front pockets are empty.
    I'm sure it will serve your 617 well.

Don’t pay the Photo Tax. Photo bags quite frankly suck, are overpriced , and under built.

Look up a Mystery Ranch 3 Day Assault Pack. American made, essentially bombproof. If seals trust them it can handle a camera. It has a triple zipper design so you can access top only or open it all the way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very timely post. I've been thinking about this lately.
    I tend to hike several miles in the mountains, and I've never been satisfied with photo-specific packs. They tend to be too heavy, uncomfortable (hot), or they don't have an adequate way of fixing the tripod in a balanced and sturdy manner.
    My current set-up is a Patagonia Ascentionist 40. I originally used it for climbing and fast packing in the Sierras, so it is comfortable, light, reliable, and sturdy. I adapted it by inserting a thin closed cell pad (like a giant tube), and my camera and lenses are in Domke wraps. It's not a perfect system. Since it is a top-load, it requires being systematic about packing/unpacking and setting up. It has enough room for all my gear, accessories, lunch, water, and extra layers. I seem to have that dialled....but...
    ...i would prefer a panel type pack (the Mystery ranch looks like a strong possibility...thanks).
    Right now, the Deuter Freerider pro 34 , or their Freescape Pro 40+ are looking very good to me as I plan to add an F-Stop or Cube into it for padding and access. Both those packs are actually designed for back country skiing, so the suspension is very comfortable (designed to carry skis or board). They also have extras you may not need (I ski tour, so it'll serve double duty). The front of the pack is designed for carrying avalanche gear, but it would also do well for separating food/water from camera gear...or for holding film. They offer several options for carrying the tripod secure and snug.They both have a streamlined silhouette, so they are less likely to get hooked on branches when bushwhacking (tripod would have to come off). The smaller one has a sleeker profile, but it's a bright colour. It boils down to whether I can fit everything into the smaller one (with room for spare clothing layers) or if I need the extra 6+L.
    I'll take my camera gear down to the store and see how things fit both before choosing.

Some recent backpack discussions on these very forums

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ecommendations
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...s-for-pano-ULF

Mystery Ranch Y zip looks enticing but it sits on the ground at an odd angle so when you unzip it, everything slides out toward the top. Take your gear and go shopping to try out different styles of packs as well as volume. I like the Atlas because I can unzip it and everything is accessible and it is comfortable to wear. For ULF the shimoda has been a nice top loader but is not as comfortable for hiking , and takes longer to unpack and pack between shots, yet it can house both my 4x5 and 5x12 so its a trade-off.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    Excellent, are those Hazard 4 cases? I've toyed around with idea of using one to stack my lens kit--I'm assuming they will fit a ~100mm "Linhof" board...any chance a Sinar board will fit? (FWIW, I've had the same thoughts about a LaRue Tactical scope case.)

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Excellent, are those Hazard 4 cases? I've toyed around with idea of using one to stack my lens kit--I'm assuming they will fit a ~100mm "Linhof" board...any chance a Sinar board will fit? (FWIW, I've had the same thoughts about a LaRue Tactical scope case.)
    The two black cases are F64 4x5 film holder cases, hold 5 each. Yellow wrap is a lens. Red wrap is the 4x5 camera.

In an unseen pocket above I have a Tenba pouch for my meter and cables.

Under the red wrap, on the bottom of the bag is my darkcloth. I also have a sheet of egg style foam between the camera and then back of the bag.

Yes, you have to lay the bag down and if muddy, you get dirty. But it's worth it because the suspension systems on Kifaru / Mystery Ranch / Hill People Gear is just above the rest of the other brands out there.

Plus, made in the US.

Photo-specific packs are great if they do their job.
    I don't go camping. The most I'm likely to do with my gear is walk all day in the city/ex-urbs, or spend a few days on the road in my car and in hotels.
    So all that's needed is a comfortable, good-quality photo backpack, nothing too crazy. But everyone's different.

Also, I don't like putting my camera or lens in a small bag, then putting that bag in a bigger bag.
    I want my gear accessible, quickly and easily. No fumbling and endless zipping/unzipping.

Here's how the Axis 20L is configured. The top end of the pack is curved a bit. That's a lid for quick access, but I doubt your 6x17 would be used that way.

I've barely moved the dividers here, but in the other backpack, the 32L Axis, I had to remove almost everything to fit the camera and properly secure 3 big lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    The two black cases are F64 4x5 film holder cases, hold 5 each.
    Thanks, always interested in other folks' load-outs. At any rate, I'm decidedly ecumenical when it comes to packs--whatever y'all can tote up the hill and home again has pretty much done its job.