Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Verito 14.5 inch

Foamer

Verito 14.5 inch

Just bought one of these and intend to use it on a Kodak 2D 8x10, mostly for tin types. Looks like the flange barely fits on a 6x6 board, and unlike a Petzval the entire lens hangs off the front of the camera. What diameter of hole do I need in the lens board for this lens?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Re: Verito 14.5 inch

The hole for is 4.25” and the OD of the flange is 5.29”. It mounted on a 6”x6” board with room to spare.

Roger

Just reread your post, don’t know if it make any difference but mine mounts right behind the aperture ring.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Just reread your post, don’t know if it make any difference but mine mounts right behind the aperture ring.

Thanks!

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

(Shrek)

I mounted mine on a 5" board once, it is the one in studio shutter that hangs entirely off the front, and I didn't have a flange for it. There are filter holders that take a 105mm (?) internally threaded ring, I bought one from China off eBay for a couple bucks, it was a perfect fit for the lens. I machined an aluminum lensboard to get a bit more rigidity, since the edges were so thin, and I screwed my 'flange' to that by drilling 6 holes evenly spaced around the filter ring, with smaller matching holes in my aluminum lens board, then #2 self-tapping screws to assemble. The lens was held perfectly perpendicular to the front standard and held firmly in place.

I got lucky and found one custom mounted to a Sinar board:

Foamer

I received the Verito 14.5 inch lens today. Overall it's in nice condition. This one mounts flush to the lens board and does not protrude into the bellows. It also has a very thin slot for stops. Reading up on it, looks like the stops were for when lens was being used for enlarging? Lens is not coated. Not sure how many leaves the iris has but it is a lot! The forward half of the barrel unscrews.

I do have a question. The writing on the bezel says the lens is "Diffused Focus" but I find no dial for diffusion. I might be confusing it with the Velostigmat Series II which I was also considering buying. This is the f4 version. Doing some more reading looks like the lens was made before 1946. Further reading makes me think the lens was made between the 1916 updating (from brass barrel to black enamel) to the 1920 update which discontinued the slot for stops. Specifically, between 1917 and 1920. Do I have this right? Since Zbima1 is taking some time off making lens boards, I'm going to cannibalize one I already have and cut a bigger 4.25 inch hole with a coping saw. I'd like to mount this puppy and see what it looks like on the ground glass.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

Foamer

Taking the lens apart I discovered the numbers "3308" had scratched into the housing for the aperture leaves. I assume this is some sort of reference number for manufacturing?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

With the Verito, the softness is determined by the aperture.
    Supposedly it starts being sharp around f11.
    The Velostigmat with "Fuzzulator" has adjustable SF at all apertures...and can be modified for more diffusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Taking the lens apart I discovered the numbers "3308" had scratched into the housing for the aperture leaves. I assume this is some sort of reference number for manufacturing?
    Kent in SD
    If that is the serial number, it was made in 1913. The lens usually has a serial number on the outside somewhere.