Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Verito 14.5 inch

Re: Verito 14.5 inch

Quote Originally Posted by cuypers1807 View Post
    If that is the serial number, it was made in 1913. The lens usually has a serial number on the outside somewhere.
    I’d propose 1914 since that was the year Wollensak’s catalog first described the lens barrel as “polished black” as opposed to the earlier “lacquered brass.”

You can find a reference on the Verito as an enlarging lens with diffusing stops here: https://alphaxbetax.files.wordpress....-stops_osu.pdf

Foamer

Lens is barrel, polished black with brass underneath, has a slot, is f4. In a stroke of luck I also have a 36cm Heliar mounted on a 6x6 board and the hole fits the flange of the Verito perfectly! All I need to do is take off the Heliar and mount the Verito. I can then have Zbima1 make me another board for the Heliar. I intend to do some outdoor portraits with this lens, mostly with wet plate. By shooting in the shade I should be able to get away with 0.5s exposures. I want to try taking portraits of ice racers on Sunday out on a frozen lake with the lens. Supposed to be below zero F so too cold for wet plate. Will try shooting FP4+ using ND filters over the lens to slow exposure down to something around 1s. Will bring a 1920s Velostigmat 12 inch in Betax just in case I need a shutter and something wider. The Verito is in pretty nice shape for something over 100 years old.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Verito 14.5 inch

Be aware you’ll have to adjust focus for wetplate. The bit of remaining chromatic aberration of the Verito plus the very orthochromatic chemistry means the blue/UV is a bit behind of the greenish that our eyes are most sensitive to (had to check Stroebel to make sure I got the direction right)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nerologic; 15-Feb-2022 at 22:20.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by nerologic View Post
    Be aware you’ll have to adjust focus for wetplate. The chromatic aberration of the Verito plus the very orthochromatic chemistry means the blue/UV is a bit behind of the greenish that our eyes are most sensitive to (had to check Stroebel to make sure I got the direction right)

Uh oh. An issue. So, looks like I'll have to focus where it's sharp, and then pull the focus just a tiny bit closer for wet plate?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    So, looks like I'll have to focus where it's sharp, and then pull the focus just a tiny bit closer for wet plate?

Kent in SD
    Don’t worry. It is a Verito. You won’t be able to find sharp focus wide open anyway. 😀

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by cuypers1807 View Post
    Don’t worry. It is a Verito. You won’t be able to find sharp focus wide open anyway. ��
    Oh, it's easy to find! It's all over the place!

(Actually, the achromatic doublet at the rear corrects the Verito fairly well, though not perfectly. Most of the Verito's soft effect comes from spherical, not chromatic, aberration. Just err a little on the short side during focusing.)
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."