Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Setting Up a Local Network for File Transfer

Re: Setting Up a Local Network for File Transfer

Good advice, Shark, thank you.
    I'll scan again next week and I'll re-configure as you suggest.
    Like you said, it's working, which is good enough, but if there's a more kosher way of doing this, I'll listen to an expert.

I wanted to make sure that anyone else reading this thread doesn't start thinking that the Drop Box folder is somehow key to file sharing. It really shouldn't be used at all for basic file sharing between Macs, and I wanted to explain why. I also wanted to explain the difference between the Dropbox application (which is all about file sharing), and the Apple Drop Box folder (which is just a standard folder with write only permissions)

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    I wanted to make sure that anyone else reading this thread doesn't start thinking that the Drop Box folder is somehow key to file sharing. It really shouldn't be used at all for basic file sharing between Macs, and I wanted to explain why. I also wanted to explain the difference between the Dropbox application (which is all about file sharing), and the Apple Drop Box folder (which is just a standard folder with write only permissions)
    Thanks for the information you have shared here. I have a Drop Box account and use it from time to time to share large files with friends. It works OK, but We Transfer seems somewhat less problematic to use.

I do a lot of high resolution digitizing of negatives, from 35mm to 20x24. I used scanners at one time but in the last several years have switched to high resolution digital cameras for digitizing film, such as the Sony a7r iv and Fuji GFX 100S which can be used in Pixel Shift mode to generate scans fo 240 mp to 400 mp. These files are quite large and in my own work flow I find it much easier to just save the files to card in the camera and then physically transfer the files to the main computer I need for processing rather than network through a second computer. I have found large transfer of digtial archives to be quite clumsy without a direct ethernet connection of devices, and even then more troublesome than direct transfer of the image files on card from the camera to the main computer. If the main computer is a laptop tethering is even more efficient.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I have a Drop Box account and use it from time to time to share large files with friends.
    In the statement above you say you have a Drop Box account, but what you actually have is a Dropbox account (no space between "drop" and "box") . That's why it's so confusing. Dropbox is great for sharing files thru the internet or in the cloud, but it has nothing to do with the Drop Box folder inside the Public folder of every Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    In the statement above you say you have a Drop Box account, but what you actually have is a Dropbox account (no space between "drop" and "box") . That's why it's so confusing. Dropbox is great for sharing files thru the internet or in the cloud, but it has nothing to do with the Drop Box folder inside the Public folder of every Mac.
    Sorry for the confusion.

Correct, what I have is a Dropbox account that allows sharing of files through the internet.

And in fact, I have never used the Drop Box folder in the Public folder of MACs. Been using MACs since the mid-1980s, but that folder has eluded me until now. So color me confused about the meaning of the term. But always good to learn.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon