Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 65 of 65

Thread: Setting Up a Local Network for File Transfer

  1. #61
    Unwitting Thread Killer Ari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    6,273

    Re: Setting Up a Local Network for File Transfer

    Good advice, Shark, thank you.
    I'll scan again next week and I'll re-configure as you suggest.
    Like you said, it's working, which is good enough, but if there's a more kosher way of doing this, I'll listen to an expert.

  2. #62

    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    267

    Re: Setting Up a Local Network for File Transfer

    I wanted to make sure that anyone else reading this thread doesn't start thinking that the Drop Box folder is somehow key to file sharing. It really shouldn't be used at all for basic file sharing between Macs, and I wanted to explain why. I also wanted to explain the difference between the Dropbox application (which is all about file sharing), and the Apple Drop Box folder (which is just a standard folder with write only permissions)

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,465

    Re: Setting Up a Local Network for File Transfer

    Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    I wanted to make sure that anyone else reading this thread doesn't start thinking that the Drop Box folder is somehow key to file sharing. It really shouldn't be used at all for basic file sharing between Macs, and I wanted to explain why. I also wanted to explain the difference between the Dropbox application (which is all about file sharing), and the Apple Drop Box folder (which is just a standard folder with write only permissions)
    Thanks for the information you have shared here. I have a Drop Box account and use it from time to time to share large files with friends. It works OK, but We Transfer seems somewhat less problematic to use.

    I do a lot of high resolution digitizing of negatives, from 35mm to 20x24. I used scanners at one time but in the last several years have switched to high resolution digital cameras for digitizing film, such as the Sony a7r iv and Fuji GFX 100S which can be used in Pixel Shift mode to generate scans fo 240 mp to 400 mp. These files are quite large and in my own work flow I find it much easier to just save the files to card in the camera and then physically transfer the files to the main computer I need for processing rather than network through a second computer. I have found large transfer of digtial archives to be quite clumsy without a direct ethernet connection of devices, and even then more troublesome than direct transfer of the image files on card from the camera to the main computer. If the main computer is a laptop tethering is even more efficient.

    Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

  4. #64

    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    267

    Re: Setting Up a Local Network for File Transfer

    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I have a Drop Box account and use it from time to time to share large files with friends.
    In the statement above you say you have a Drop Box account, but what you actually have is a Dropbox account (no space between "drop" and "box") . That's why it's so confusing. Dropbox is great for sharing files thru the internet or in the cloud, but it has nothing to do with the Drop Box folder inside the Public folder of every Mac.

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    5,465

    Re: Setting Up a Local Network for File Transfer

    Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    In the statement above you say you have a Drop Box account, but what you actually have is a Dropbox account (no space between "drop" and "box") . That's why it's so confusing. Dropbox is great for sharing files thru the internet or in the cloud, but it has nothing to do with the Drop Box folder inside the Public folder of every Mac.
    Sorry for the confusion.

    Correct, what I have is a Dropbox account that allows sharing of files through the internet.

    And in fact, I have never used the Drop Box folder in the Public folder of MACs. Been using MACs since the mid-1980s, but that folder has eluded me until now. So color me confused about the meaning of the term. But always good to learn.

    Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Similar Threads

  1. Sinar F2: Setting Plane of Focus vs. Setting Depth of Field
    By celtic9 in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24-Aug-2015, 15:53
  2. Photoshop Setting file corruption?
    By Kirk Gittings in forum Digital Processing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-Aug-2009, 16:35
  3. Mac to PC network
    By Martin Miksch in forum Digital Hardware
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 21-Apr-2008, 17:52
  4. Network issues
    By Tom Westbrook in forum Feedback
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 5-Oct-2004, 12:50

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •