Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting Up a Local Network for File Transfer

Setting Up a Local Network for File Transfer

Need some help, I couldn't get this to work after following online instructions.

I have an old Mac Mini running OS X Leopard, which also runs my scanner.
    I'd like to set up a local network so I can transfer scans over to the M1 Mini, which runs Monterey.

Maybe it's not working because the two OSs are incompatible in some way?
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Setting Up a Local Network for File Transfer

I'm not a MAC guy, but I know that using two versions of Windows on different computers -- and expecting them to talk together easily -- is a mistake.
    There are ways to do it, but it's not straightforward.
    I'd suggest you join a MAC forum.

Seems like it should be straightforward, even if I'm using different OS.
    File transfers take place over wi-fi, and both computers use the same File Sharing app.
    Could just be a setting on File Sharing that needs to be applied/disabled?
    I've read on this forum that some people use this method, instead of plugging and unplugging a hard drive, so I know it exists.

If you're trying to do this wirelessly, then the old Mac Mini probably doesn't have the latest security protocols to allow it to communicate with the M1. If so, try to connect the two computers via ethernet.

There's no issue with multiple OSes talking to each other, so long as they can each talk to your network. Assuming your machines can talk to a local network, then your easiest solution is a wired network. If the old Mac and new Mac are in proximity to each other, then just buy a network hub or switch and connect each machine to the hub or switch via Ethernet cable, enable networking and file sharing with other computers on the same network, and you're pretty much done. You could connect a Windows machine, printers and anything else to that hub or switch and transferring files is easy, once you enable each computer to talk to other computers on the same network.

Under system preferences, should be able to go to sharing/turn on file sharing.
    Once thats on, the other pc should be able to see it under the finder, locations dropdown. Need to log in to connect with the shared pc's credentials.

If your old Mac Mini can get an internet connection through wifi, then it must be able to connect to your wireless router. If it connects to your router, then it should be able to connect with the Mi through the router as well. If your Mac Mini can't connect to the internet through wifi, then the problem is the wifi hardware in the old Mac Mini. In that case, you'll need to use ethernet.

It's an authentication issue, assuming the two computers can see each other, and the one where you want to put the files has sharing turned on. Leopard is probably running on a Mac that won't do a later 64-bit OS? There was a bump in the authentication method after Leopard.

I'd try connecting from the newer system to the old one (which shares a folder for anyone as read-only). If that works, put the files into the shared folder and pull them to the new system. This assumes the afp: file protocol.

We still have a Leopard system in the house, but it is dedicated to music software and not normally on the network, so I have not needed to connect it to my wife's main Mac. Or my Windows and Linux systems, come to that.

If the machines are close enough, and you have a cable, I'd use ethernet. Modern systems can handle a standard cable on a direct link, and it is going to be much quicker.

Both Minis connect to wi-fi, so I'll keep trying that. Failing that, a wired connection would be the ticket.
    The two computers are only 4 feet apart.
    Thanks, fellas.

Thanks for including the steps, Graham. I'll try that.
    I don't have an ethernet cable handy, so I'll keep plugging away at wireless today.