Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdated Film and Paper

Outdated Film and Paper

Hi, got 100 plus 7x5 sheets of Delta 100 film which is outdated by 4 years. It has been in the fridge all of the time since I have no darkroom as yet. Would it be ok or would I have to give it extra Dev time or what. Or would it still be ok? I have 24x20 paper the same. Not been in fridge but been wrapped in silver foil but again kept cool. What do you think?

Re: Outdated Film and Paper

the film will almost certainly be fine, the paper probably will as well. 4 years isn't much especially 100 speed or lower and when stored cold. I expect the paper is fine since it has such a low speed, but I've never dealt with expired paper.

Thankyou for that. I will have to experiment with the paper when I get set up.

Nicholas O. Lindan

The film will be good as new. The paper, if it is by Ilford also, ditto.

I've used film that expired in ~2000 with no problems other than a small amount of fog with 400 speed film. 3200 speed film is another matter.
    Darkroom Automation / Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
    f-Stop Timers & Enlarging meters http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Be wary of infrared film. If not “well stored” (read frozen) can show some significant fog. From personal experience, I’d pass on buying any of the now significantly out of date Efke Aura.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with all answers above. My AGFA Classic multigrade started to get foggy after 10 years, compared with fresh Bergger cool and warm tone the Bergger looks much clearer and had thus more edgesharpness, up to 4 years old.

Niels

It is my impression that most film expiry dates are based on storage in "room temperature" which is normally rated 20°C and thus a little colder than most people's actual room temp.
    I have used HP5 and Tri-X 5-8 years past expiry, kept in normal room temp (23-25°C) without having to adjust exposure or development - although some of the last HP5 had some traces of fogging which leads me to believe that I had reached if not passed the limit.

Storage in a refrigerator at 5°C will surely extend the life of the material. I wish we had room in our apartment for a dedicated refrigerator for my film - but that will have to wait for another life.
    ----
    Niels

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobs View Post
    Hi, got 100 plus 7x5 sheets of Delta 100 film which is outdated by 4 years. It has been in the fridge all of the time since I have no darkroom as yet. Would it be ok or would I have to give it extra Dev time or what. Or would it still be ok? I have 24x20 paper the same. Not been in fridge but been wrapped in silver foil but again kept cool. What do you think?
    you probably won't have any problem with either the film or paper. I've made it a habit to shoot primarily expired film and paper for IDK 20 years ? some of my film and paper is expired from the 80s and 90s too, all shelf stored nothing in the cold refrigerator or freezer. its on a shelf where there isn't much humidity and not a lot of temperature fluctuation. no issues. even iso 3200 film, I used ansco 130 developer and caffenol developer for film and paper, worked like a charm.
    good luck!
    John

ps. I think the expiration dates stamped on film boxes is so the companies get people to buy more film, and TBH I think the whole gotta store film and paper in the freezer thing because of "cosmic rays" is kind of a myth. I've talked to physicists who have cosmic ray indicators and they say that its probably not true, maybe muons but cosmic rays, nope. if I were to guess ... it's moisture and excessive heat that wrecks stuff, dihydrogen monoxide is the enemy of pretty much everything.

I have been given lots of 'old' film and plates

All is fine for my usage, John is very frugal

As I wrote in another thread, it all may work 'artistically'

Of course Pros will not chance any failure

That's why a Chicago Pro gave me a lot of film and chemistry, he was going to South America and bought all fresh for a project

I assume he makes money with his images

i hobbyist

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I have been given lots of 'old' film and plates

All is fine for my usage, John is very frugal

As I wrote in another thread, it all may work 'artistically'

Of course Pros will not chance any failure

That's why a Chicago Pro gave me a lot of film and chemistry, he was going to South America and bought all fresh for a project

I assume he makes money with his images

i hobbyist

Frugal .. that 's a good word for it.

Wait a minute ... "artistically". .. you mean Art? I thought you made NOT ART

Besides pros not chancing any failure, we aren't really paying for it .. the client is paying for it so we can afford $4 / sheet since we just bill the client.
    When I'm not charging my client for sheets of film, I bill them for sensor use

There's gotta be a meme in there somewhere ..

John