Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Focus accuracy vs speed on 4x5 for studio portraits - rangefinder vs Groundglass

Re: Focus accuracy vs speed on 4x5 for studio portraits - rangefinder vs Groundglass

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    There were other long roll portrait cameras. Cameraz is one.
    Yes Sir! And Nord.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Drew Wiley

Re: Focus accuracy vs speed on 4x5 for studio portraits - rangefinder vs Groundglass

Studio 8x10 Portraiture never was about speed or accuracy of focus for me, but about what looked "right" in the ground glass image itself. It's not like the intensely detailed landscape work if often do. Most folks don't want every zit or pore or acne scar accentuated. Maybe Karsh could get away with that, if he ran faster than Churchill could send the Royal Air Force to bomb his studio. No, I'm not a Pictorialist or soft lens advocate; but there is sure a heck of a lot one can learn from the classic masters of that genre, like Cameron, early Steichen, early Weston, Stieglitz, Clarence White etc. They too focused their portraits to the point it simply looked right.

I actually found that by having a big slow deliberate camera in front of people, and me taking my careful time, I actually got better cooperation. They knew I meant business. But my brother needed thick glasses and had progressive eyesight issues, so often did use the rangefinder on his 4x5 Super Technika for shots of individuals. If he needed to work faster still, he either used his SL66 system or borrowed my Pentax 6X7.

Early in my photo career I photographed a wonderful basket full of squirming puppies. I did a whole series of these. I ended up using a 4x5 Graflex Super D with the 190 auto aperture on 4x5 Vericolor S. As I recall they were not particularly impressed that I was using large format.

Now I would use my TLR Sinar, or a Hasselblad or Plaubel Makiflex. Or a Mamiya C TLR

― Mark Twain

Drew Wiley

Maybe you're just a little resentful at what one of those puppies chewed up in the process, or peed on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    What are the goals of the portrait?

Focus accuracy is much secondary to the portrait goals. Today autofocus digital does a remarkable job of keeping stuff in focus independent of subject's movements/actions. View camera portraits are effectively opposite from autofocus digital or film. Rangefinder or twin lens allows constant monitoring of the sitter while images are made. Similar can be achieved by pre-setting the view camera on the portrait sitter, then connecting with the portrait sitter with an assistant loading/unloading (film holders and assuring the lens shutter is ready to go the view camera per exposure. Photographer never looks at the GG or view camera as capturing a moment of the portrait sitter's expression becomes the image goal's focus.

What about lighting and related?

Portrait image goals drives the tools needed to accomplish these image goals.

Bernice
    Thanks Bernice I primarily use modern digital cameras for photography that’s not the point. I was wondering if I buy a reflex viewer like
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Near-MINT-in...-127632-2357-0
    This might be bulky but would it take place of dark cloth and loupe? Lighting I’m good I got 600w-1000w strobes and 5 feet octas etc.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kuljit View Post
    Thanks Bernice I primarily use modern digital cameras for photography that’s not the point. I was wondering if I buy a reflex viewer like
    This might be bulky but would it take place of dark cloth and loupe? Lighting I’m good I got 600w-1000w strobes and 5 feet octas etc.
    Thanks
    PMFJI. I have the Cambo equivalent for my 4x5 Cambo and have used the Arca-Swiss equivalent on a 6x9 Arca-Swiss. I like the view through them, but they're heavy and tend to pull the back open. The built-in loupes aren't powerful enough for getting good focus. They do eliminate the need for a dark cloth. But they don't eliminate the need to close the shutter, adjust the aperture, insert the film holder, ... before taking the shot.

Step back a little from your dreams and hopes to think about the LF process. You might want to buy an inexpensive LF camera etc. and use it to find out how comfortable you'll be with the process. It has little in common with the digital camera with through the lens viewing and auto-everything process.

Sinar reflex viewer could work for what your image goals are. IMO, after having been there done that, reflex viewers (any brand) never worked out ok for me, do know this is not true for others.

Previously discussed, this documentary of George Hurell could be of value here as he is one example of how a view camera was used in a portrait setting.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ll-Documentary

Previous experiences with view camera portraits, focus accuracy remains much secondary to portrait sitters expression in the image.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Kuljit View Post
    Thanks

Small town, South Carolina, US

It is possible, if you have an accurate rangefinder on your camera, to compose the image on the ground glass, check focus with the rangefinder and concentrate on getting your subject to pose. I have done that successfully several times with small groups with a Busch Pressman - but so far not with a one subject.

I have owned a Sinar Norma era Reflex Magnifier for many decades, never really got along with it much. Now I am rediscovering it's potential. I bought a second one if that says anything. Twice I have dropped and broken the mirror, it's easily replaced, there is a Guy on Ebay who custom cuts the mirrors for me for $30 each. An easy thing to do. Suggestions: Use a fresnel with the Reflex Magnifier. I really think it was designed to work with fresnel. The magnifier works ok to fine focus, takes a bit of use to. A possible issue using the Normas, the bail is easily pulled out when using the magnifier. With the Norma the answer is the elastic band that comes with the Lighthood, remove it and attach it to the Norma Riser Knobs. Adjust the bands so the box stays tight and under tension. Works great. With modern black Sinar the springs in the bail should not require any help as they are much stronger springs. I like Reflex mags, I have one on the TLR above ^^ In fact I just bought the rare 8x10 Sinar Reflex Magnifier, so Yes I have become a fan. This rear view shows the elastic band holding the box tightly against the back of the camera.

4x5 Twin Lens Sinar Norma Binocular Reflex Magnifier by Nokton48, on Flickr

8x10 18x24 Sinar Norma Overhead Shooting Table 165 Norma SA by Nokton48, on Flickr

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Sinar reflex viewer could work for what your image goals are. IMO, after having been there done that, reflex viewers (any brand) never worked out ok for me, do know this is not true for others.

Previously discussed, this documentary of George Hurell could be of value here as he is one example of how a view camera was used in a portrait setting.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ll-Documentary

Previous experiences with view camera portraits, focus accuracy remains much secondary to portrait sitters expression in the image.

Bernice
    Bernice that documentary of George Hurell is amazing, thanks for sharing that. And I also believe that expressions are first priority, focus is secondary.