Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Focus accuracy vs speed on 4x5 for studio portraits - rangefinder vs Groundglass

Focus accuracy vs speed on 4x5 for studio portraits - rangefinder vs Groundglass

Groundglass vs Rangefinder attachment focus on 4x5 camera for studio portraits, accuracy and speed, what are your opinions?

Re: Focus accuracy vs speed on 4x5 for studio portraits - rangefinder vs Groundglass

Kuljit, when I was a child one of our family rituals was the annual visit to the photography studio. The photographer used a view camera on tripod and flashes. This was in the early '50s. My photography consciousness was low, so I don't recall whether he used bulbs or electronic flash. Anyway, his camera and flashes and backdrop were all set up. He posed each of us where he wanted, checked and adjusted focus through the lens, came out from under the dark cloth, told us to be still, did the close shutter, set aperture, insert film holder, pull the dark slide routine. He shot when the subject's eyes were open. The proofs were all good. I believe this is what Karsh did. Low tech, somewhat slow working, was what working professionals did then. This may not what they do now.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Focus accuracy vs speed on 4x5 for studio portraits - rangefinder vs Groundglass

I think Dan sufficiently answered the question. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Kuljit, when I was a child one of our family rituals was the annual visit to the photography studio. The photographer used a view camera on tripod and flashes. This was in the early '50s. My photography consciousness was low, so I don't recall whether he used bulbs or electronic flash. Anyway, his camera and flashes and backdrop were all set up. He posed each of us where he wanted, checked and adjusted focus through the lens, came out from under the dark cloth, told us to be still, did the close shutter, set aperture, insert film holder, pull the dark slide routine. He shot when the subject's eyes were open. The proofs were all good. I believe this is what Karsh did. Low tech, somewhat slow working, was what working professionals did then. This may not what they do now.
    Thanks Dan for sharing your experience! It’s very insightful.

third option: mount a smaller camera on your 4x5 camera, with a fast lens that's close to the fov of your 4x5 lens and preset the focus on both to match the distance to your subject. now you can adjust focus by moving the whole camera, even shoot handheld if you want and you get a bonus light meter.

What are the goals of the portrait?

Focus accuracy is much secondary to the portrait goals. Today autofocus digital does a remarkable job of keeping stuff in focus independent of subject's movements/actions. View camera portraits are effectively opposite from autofocus digital or film. Rangefinder or twin lens allows constant monitoring of the sitter while images are made. Similar can be achieved by pre-setting the view camera on the portrait sitter, then connecting with the portrait sitter with an assistant loading/unloading (film holders and assuring the lens shutter is ready to go the view camera per exposure. Photographer never looks at the GG or view camera as capturing a moment of the portrait sitter's expression becomes the image goal's focus.

What about lighting and related?

Portrait image goals drives the tools needed to accomplish these image goals.

Bernice

You need both, and all other "ducks in a row"...

People are living, moving things and tend to fidget if asked to hold still (kids a whole 'nother matter)... So whatever is most comfortable to you and sitter that can be done painlessly in the shortest time helps a lot...

Remember, that LF used for portrait photo studios in the past was because retouching was easier and expected then, and enlargements were not common until later, so a large film to contact print was used...

Use the tool of choice best suited to the situation to insure the highest level of success, and not waste everyone's precious time...

Have fun!!!

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Remember, that LF used for portrait photo studios in the past was because retouching was easier and expected then, and enlargements were not common until later, so a large film to contact print was used...
    Steve, my parents bought 8x10 prints. It was the done thing. The photographer shot 4x5. It was the done thing.

The venerable Gowlandflex, and the industry standard Beatty Coleman Portronics, are time tested twin lens portrait cameras. As mentioned above, advantages are: continuous viewing on ground glass regarding expression and overall composition, and overall operating speed. I can see for a micro-second the flash "pop" on the viewing groundglass. Helpful for deciding/evaluating peak expressions; no chimping required for this operating technique

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...12-Sinar-Norma

For me it's the Sinar Norma twin lens camera, an ongoing personal project. For back story see link above. My choice for LF portraiture up to 5x7.

300mm F4.5 Xenar matched pair TLR Norma by Nokton48, on Flickr
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    The venerable Gowlandflex, and the industry standard Beatty Coleman Portronics, are time tested cameras. As mentioned above, advantages are: continuous viewing regarding expression and overall composition, and overall operating speed.

https://www.largeformatphotographyd....12-Sinar-Norma

For me it's the Sinar Norma twin lens camera, an ongoing personal project. For back story see link above. My choice for LF portraiture up to 5x7.
    There were other long roll portrait cameras. Cameraz is one.