Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Modern 67mm filters on older lenses - a simple workaround

Using Modern 67mm filters on older lenses - a simple workaround

Many excellent older lenses, such as Goerz AM. Dagors and Artars, as well as most Ektars, do not use standard threaded filters. The more common approach is to have a custom filter holder uniquely machined for each lens, which is both expensive and not very versatile.

Here's another approach that works well enough and can be used with nearly every lens lacking standard filter threads. Total cost is about $30 USD.

A few decades ago, a company called Voss made a small clip-on combination 3" gelatine filter holder and adjustable lens shade. These clip on to the lens barrel with spring clips and can fit nearly every lens diameter from very small to 72mm.

Here's an illustrative photo of a Voss lens shade.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0528.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	224153

It turns out that the front retaining metal for the lens shade is precisely the correct size to tightly and smoothly hold a Fotodiox 72mm to 67mm step-down ring from Amazon, shown next to the holder. With this step-down ring in place, you can use all of your 67mm filters with lenses that do not have standard threads.

Open the barn doors wide and, leaving in the gelatine filter holder to ensure proper tension, slide the step-down ring sideways under the metal retainers for the gelatine filter holder and center. Rotate the step-down ring within its threads until a nice tight fit is obtained. If there's not quite enough tension slightly pinch the top and bottom. Conversely, pull slightly apart if it's too tight.

Name:	IMG_0530.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	224156

That's it - you now have a way to both adapt 67mm filters to older lenses as well as an adjustable lens shade. You'll need to remove the step-ring each time you close up the lens shading panels. Pictured below are images that show how the Voss shade clips on a lens barrel, in this case a 203/7.7 Ektar, and also with an orange filter in place.

Name:	IMG_0531.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	224154

Name:	IMG_0532.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	224155

Re: Using Modern 67mm filters on older lenses - a simple workaround

My Voss barn-door shades (like yours pictured) have a slot for square filters. I use gels in filter frames with them sometimes. Maybe a round filter would just slip into the slot? You'd have to be careful with positioning, but that should be doable too.

Best,

Doremus

The slot without the filter holder inserted doesn't seem to hold the step-down ring securely. Inserting the empty 3" filter holder provides proper seating and tension while still allowing removal of the ring.

I find it really hard to find good quality 3" gelatine filters anymore and have put my remaining Wrattens away in a safe box. This is a work-around to use a standard set of modern MC glass filters when needed. Most of my kits have a combination of modern Big 4 lenses, but I also try to carry an older Protar VIIa, RD Artar, or Dagor in each kit as well. The 67mm step-down ring using my MC-coated filters seems to provide the best all-around versatility.

(Shrek)

I forgot I own one of these. Thanks for the idea. I've been using front-mounted LUC shutters, and I epoxy step-up rings or just old filters with the glass removed to the front of the LUC shutter. But this would help with my older lenses in shutters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    I forgot I own one of these. Thanks for the idea. I've been using front-mounted LUC shutters, and I epoxy step-up rings or just old filters with the glass removed to the front of the LUC shutter. But this would help with my older lenses in shutters.
    I thought about epoxy but using the screw threads works better and allows removal of the ring to fold down the doors

Drew Wiley

I just take an expendable example of the next diameter up filter and bust the glass out, or else using a step ring, and then line the inside with self-adhesive silicone strip material (not liquid caulk). Press-on secure fit to the outside of the lens diameter. Outdoors, I only use round coated glass filters.

Been looking for weeks. Is anyone around here willing to hand off theirs?

Quote Originally Posted by senderoaburrido View Post
    Been looking for weeks. Is anyone around here willing to hand off theirs?
    I see two of the pictured Voss barn-door filter holders (possibly more - I quit looking after two) up on eBay right now...

Thanks for the great tip! I have plenty of 67mm filters and this is such a simple solution for all the oddball front lens diameters. Just picked up one of the two $20 copies on eBay along with the step down ring, all in for about $30.

Quote Originally Posted by brucetaylor View Post
    Thanks for the great tip! I have plenty of 67mm filters and this is such a simple solution for all the oddball front lens diameters. Just picked up one of the two $20 copies on eBay along with the step down ring, all in for about $30.
    I can see only two, both well over 100$ CAD with shipping.