Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tominon Lens Specification

Re: Tominon Lens Specification

Quote Originally Posted by Garen View Post
    xkaes: The male thread for attaching a filter to the front of a Tominon is 39.3mm X 0.7mm.

Garen
    Thanks for resolving that "head-scratcher", but 39.3mm is even stranger than 39.5mm!!! Reminds me of my Spiratone MACROSTIGMAT +20 diopter supplementary lens. Apparently it was only made with a 52mm thread on the rear, and for some STRANGE reason, the front filter thread is 54mm -- NOT 52mm, Not 55mm. Talk about NUTS.

As to using enlarging lenses with LARGE objects as a taking lens, I have no experience. I have a 135mm and 150mm for 4x5" enlargements, but the only enlarging lenses I've used outside the darkroom have been shorter focal length lenses that only cover 4x5" at higher magnifications -- nothing close to infinity.

Dan: waffling and condescension is not knowledge. Share your pictures taken by tominons. We can judge your tominon work just as you are judging xkaes work. I used to earn money taking pictures of buildings in my student days. I used WF Ektars. Doesnít make me an expert but answers one of your belittling questions. You might be interested to know that I have designed and ground a 4" achromatic air spaced doublet objective to build my own telescope. Still doesn't make me an expert, but answers another one of your condescending questions. The math might be out of reach for many people, but I can do a doublet design with my left hand during a coffee break. Aberration calcs will require a lunch break and both hands. If I program a computer, the results will be instantaneous.

xkaes: The male thread for attaching a filter to the front of a Tominon is 39.3mm X 0.7mm. I machined a 39.5mm for a friend years ago. It was a little tight. But he preferred it. He had the 75mm and the 105mm in shutters. He mounted the 105mm in reverse on a lens board and it became his favorite lens. He died years ago and took the tominon experience away with him. I recently received a 105mm loaner. I will start machining an adapter to mount it to a M39 X 26

ridax: Thanks for your advice on Schneider 60mm. I'll look into it. I may have to go down to smaller negative size if the coverage is limited. I am experimenting right now. It is not the final deal.

I dug up my dadís Kodak lens book which gives depth of field tables for most Kodak lenses. I'll see if those tables will work for Tominon 105mm. The tables do not cover lenses shorter than 100mm. I may need to write up a spreadsheet for the calcs and carry it in my cell phone.

Back to the main request: please share your experience photographing buildings with enlarger lenses. Does an EL produce pictures for you that are free of barrel distortion?

Thanks.

Garen
    Thanks for the kind reply. Please send a scanner and funds to pay for the time unearthing my old test shots will take.

Which format do you intend to shoot? I ask because none of the MP-4 Tominons, or, for that matter, many enlarging lenses with focal lengths <= 150 mm have the coverage needed to shoot 4x5 at distance with much front rise.

Please explain why you're obsessed with barrel distortion. Most normal ordinary LF lenses have low distortion.

Also please explain why you haven't tried to answer your questions about whether MP-4 Tominons or enlarging lenses will do what you want by addressing the lenses instead of strangers who believe, with or without good reason, that they're not fit for your purposes. The Tominons aren't that expensive.

ridax: Thanks for your advice on Schneider 60mm. I'll look into it. I may have to go down to smaller negative size if the coverage is limited. I am experimenting right now. It is not the final deal.
    Garen
    The 60mm f/5.6 Componon was made for the 4x4cm (Baby Rollei) format. But I use it for 24x36mm and prefer it to any 50mm enlarging lenses, including the ones with the 'APO-' lable.

My wife is an artist working in oils, ad I take digital pictures of her work from time to time. I put a bellows device on my EOS, and I put Componons on the front of the bellows. Those are the lenses I prefer for their sharpness and contrast.

But I almost never use Componons for taking pictures of 3-D subjects. Componons (and Rodagons and El-Nikkors too) produce good FRONT out of focus image wide open but their out of focus background rendition is ugly at all apertures.

The Tessar-type Tominons (and Ysarons) are far less sharp (though I consider them to be very usable) but their out of focus rendition is really good from approximately f/6.3 to f/11.

Back to the main request: please share your experience photographing buildings with enlarger lenses. Does an EL produce pictures for you that are free of barrel distortion?
    Garen
    I've made some tests of a number of my lenses for the distortion. None of my Componons and Rodagons ever showed any visible distortion - not only in their original enlarging magnification range but close to infinity either. But people who need even better freedom of distortion usually prefer Apo-Ronars to Rodagons/Componons even for the enlarging purposes....