Thread: Kearsarge timer stuck on focus mode

Kearsarge timer stuck on focus mode

Hi everyone,

Some previous threads here discuss some anomalies with Kearsarge timers, and I have a model 301 that seems to be stuck in focus mode. Another user had a similar problem that was alleviated by having a current load plugged into the safelight plug on the timer (tried that).

After disassembling the unit, the logical component to test seemed to be the focus/timer switch which seems to be working fine.

Logically (or not) the other failure points might seem to be the main capacitor, or more likely the relay. I did some tapping on the relay thinking maybe that might unstick it.

The relay and capacitor can be replaced for about $15.00 and I'm apt to try doing that next.

Does anyone else have any guidance toward any other potential remedies? Is a nice timer that came with my Durst Laborator and I'd really like to be able to use it. Thanks guys!

Wayne

Re: Kearsarge timer stuck on focus mode

Relay... Cleaning or replacement... And use contact cleaner on all internal switches and connectors...

Steve K

Good point Steve, have a can of DeOxit that I'll start going through everything with in the morning... Thanks Steve!

Update: FIXED It!

So proud and happy to be able to report that news... only took about a month. I suspected that it was the main relay, and testing it with external 12 volts power seemed to confirm. As it turns out, that Tyco Electronics relay has been long discontinued and Tyco was unable to give any updated replacement part information.

Was able to find just one of them on Ebay, paid a total of about $7.00. The tough part after that was getting the old relay de-soldered from the board inside the timer. Managed to ruin one of the pins in the process (no going back now), even with that the relay seemed to work after removing from the board.

I soldered in the new relay, and voila! It works!

Robert Bowring

Good job!

Glad you found the problem. Both of my Kearsarge timers (403) had issues with the switches. I went through one completely and cleaned the inside of the switches. The little plastic lever inside them can be displaced. That timer is gold now. The other one I have the reset switch doesn't work, but I never use it so I haven't yet bothered with it. Great timers if you ask me.

It really is a wonderful timer! Worth the effort and a couple finger burns (always seems to happen when I use the soldering iron). Saw that there was one of these on ebay for about $190. Not sure what these cost new, but that's probably not too terrible a price.