Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mylar sheets for alt process printing

Re: Mylar sheets for alt process printing

overhead transparency material FOR LASER PRINTERS is mylar. Normal clear overhead transparency material melts in a copier/laser printer and is not mylar.

For a number of years I have used Grafix Dura-Lar clear as protective cover for printing digital negatives with UV sensitive processes. I generally purchase the product from Dick Blick, where you can find it in a variety of sheet sizes as well as roll sizes. It is also available in various thickness. I use the 0.002" thickness. Avoid the 0.001" thick Grafix Dura-Lar as it has a UV coating that blocks 2-3 stops of UV transmission, making it impractical for contact printing with UV processes.

Clear polyester is available from a wide variety of other sources, but be aware that some of it has a UV coating, which may or may not be mentioned in sales literature.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Drew Wiley

Well, I get it now. Exposure through the back, ala carbon transfer or something analogous. Same sources. But going very thin would seem to make it all the more beneficial to examine sheets in person if possible. And perusing through my various samples of polyester/mylar, it is apparent that some of those brands have a slightly yellowish flavor which would block UV somewhat, just like Sandy warned. I'd ask for a small sample in advance if you can't select the sheets in person.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    I use the 0.002" thickness. Avoid the 0.001" thick Grafix Dura-Lar as it has a UV coating that blocks 2-3 stops of UV transmission, making it impractical for contact printing with UV processes.
    Ha, thanks for that information--that's a gremlin that I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to interpolate. At any rate, I appreciate all y'all--having folks being able to articulate the intricacies of just the basic materials really saves us newbies hours and hours.

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    Yep thin as possible is very critical. Especially with any alt process where the image appears on a gelatin base (think Carbon Transfer or any Silver process with gelatin/albumen sized paper) since they are very inherently sharp processes, too thick of a piece of mylar would be noticeable.
    You are correct. In carbon printing with digital negatives that have high resolution there is definitely some slight loss of print sharpness when using thick mylar of 0.005" compared to thin mylar of 0.002".

The above assumes the use of a vacuum frame. Your results may vary with contact printing frames.

Hard to be specific with processes like albumen, pt/pd. and Vandyke Brown and Kallitype, but as a general rule if you have a very sharp negative I would always use the thinner mylar.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon