Thread: making shutter blades?

making shutter blades?

Right, I'm trying to get a synchro-compur #00 back to work. This was a bad buy on a fair. Lens was clear and neat, shutter locked (nothing rare) and low priced. Ok, so the shutter had been wet, rust inside. And worst, the echapment was missing.

Took it apart, made a mess of it. Took a few other broken cameras apart and those had synchro-compurs in them. So I have the echapment and self timer now. But that shutter has in the mean time been thrown away, having second thoughts rescued again from the bin and put in a box.

Result, a box of parts of several synchro-compur shutter. From what I can find on the net as repair manuals I think I have most parts. But there are screws missing. That will be some work to find some or make replacements. The worst is that I only have a single set of shutter blades. They are not in good condition (surface rust) and worse, 1 blade has the eye broken. It is torn at one side.

So I will have to make at least a single shutter blade. Advantage is that I have the blade as a template.

Question:
    - what material to use? They seem to be magnetic and rust so the originals are some kind of steel. Would steel shim work? What quality should I try to find? Or better stainless? Or could I go to something like bronze? (I have some sheet phosphor bronze around)
    - they are 0.09mm thick. Would 0.1mm work? I guess it would.
    - how make them black? Probably a chemical blackening but that is something I know nothing about.

As for making... I guess etching would be the easiest for me. But another possibility would be to find someone that can wirecut those. In that case I'll need a CAD drawing which I do not see myself making from such a curved part. Anyone got one around?
    Expert in non-working solutions.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: making shutter blades?

Unless you have a lot of time on your hands, this project might not be worth the effort. It certainly will be challenging if you do it, though.

A facebook group called 3D printing and analog photography might be of help.
    Else this shutter is found in a 65mm angulon f6.8 meant for 6x9cm and are less popular.

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Unless you have a lot of time on your hands, this project might not be worth the effort. It certainly will be challenging if you do it, though.
    Ya #00 Shutters aren't very uncommon or expensive. They were used in some less popular folders and even some early 35mm cameras, so buying a camera to use the shutter might be one way to go.

(Shrek)

Steel shim stock is the way to go, I think. You'll have to (re-) harden it after cutting. Like others, I think it's probably easier to find another shutter than it is to make it, especially if you're missing some screws too. I keep a couple baskets of basket cases that I failed to repair at some point, just so I can steal parts whenever I need to. I'm sure the blade matches those on a number of period cameras.

It might be easier to find another shutter in the US but here in the EU it isn't that easy. And getting one mostly involve getting a complete lens. I do have a good set of lens elements. So it looks like I'm going to risk it. Can loose anything.

As for donor cameras... that is something that was easy to find when there were fairs. But 02/02/2022 it will be 2 years that the last one took place.

Hardening might be a problem. Never done that.

I have made shutter blades for larger shutters. I used shim stock and did not reharden after cutting. Worked fine but was painstaking to get the holes or pins exactly positioned. Making a #00 blade will be challenging.
    I cut my blades to approximate shape, perhaps a half mm to 1mm large and then ground to the scribe line. I took care not to damage the surface of the blade, keeping it covered with tape as much as I could. let us know what you decide to do.

Well, I got some 0.1mm stainless steel shim. At the moment the idea is to etch them using the old (rusted) blades as a mask.