Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Price of Film Going Up

Price of Film Going Up

Today I updated spreadsheets I have on the U.S. availability and prices of Fujinon, Ilford and Kodak films that are available in 4x5 and 8x10. The original spreadsheets, one for black and white and one for colour, were made on August 4, 2021. The data is from B&H.

Kodak Alaris, in particular, is implementing significant price increases for some Kodak films. For some Kodak B&W stocks, B&H says that the price reflects a temporary saving. I've noted these instances in the new B&W spreadsheet. In the new spreadsheets, I've also noted when the film is not in stock. In these instances, the price may not reflect what the price will be when the film is back in stock.

The second price in a cell is the price per sheet or per frame.

Black and White Film Stocks

August 4, 2021

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-22 at 7.19.07 PM.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	223851

January 22, 2022

Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-22 at 7.19.45 PM.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	223852

Colour Film Stocks

August 4, 2021

Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-22 at 7.20.22 PM.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	223853

January 22, 2022

Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-22 at 7.10.23 PM.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	223854
    Last edited by r.e.; 22-Jan-2022 at 17:31.

Re: Price of Film Going Up

Buy or buy not. There is no afford. Lol.

I had a problem getting the attachments to display properly, now fixed.

I think that this amounts to Kodak Alaris telling its customers for black and white film to move to other suppliers. One question is how Ilford will respond. Will it see the Kodak price increases as a green light to hike its own prices?

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    I had a problem getting the attachments to display properly, now fixed.

I think that this amounts to Kodak Alaris telling its customers for black and white film to move to other suppliers. One question is how Ilford will respond. Will it see the Kodak price increases as a green light to hike its own prices?
    I'm not moving. I'm staying with Kodak Tmax 100. It;s only 10% more than the equivalent Delta 100. Meanwhile Fuji stopped production of its; Velvia 100 and will eliminate some of its Velvia 50 soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I'm not moving. I'm staying with Kodak Tmax 100. It's only 10% more than the equivalent Delta 100.
    T-Max 10 sheets: $3.60/sheet (temporary $0.30 saving on this price)
    T-Max 50 sheets: $2.80/sheet
    Delta 25 sheets: $2.52/sheet
    Delta 100 sheets: $2.00/sheet

If one wants the best pricing, a 100 sheet box of Delta is $200, and two 50 sheet boxes of T-Max is $280, or 40% more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Lather, rinse, repeat.
    Have you looked at the actual prices? I don't regard an increase in the price of 10 sheets of 8x10 T-Max 400 from US$100 to $170 as "just the way it works". At the moment, at least, HP5+ is $10/sheet less. That may be spare change to you, but I daresay that some people, indeed most, would have a different view.

My point was that Kodak Alaris is effectively inviting its customers to change suppliers. I don't quite get how a 70% price increase can be interpreted as benignly as you suggest. Do you really regard this as normal, and anyone who questions it, to use your word, as a "moaner"?

A 70% price increase is 12 times the current pandemic-induced inflation rate in OECD member countries.

I'd also like to address this sentence in your post: "There is no "signaling" to each other." As it happens, antitrust law (competition law outside the U.S.) is one of the few things that I know something about. "Price signalling" is a technical term. You appear to have decided that I'm alleging that there's a price-fixing scheme in the works, which is where that term is relevant. I have no idea how you got that from what I wrote. I simply raised the question of how Ilford will respond to Kodak Alaris's price hikes.

I didn't say, nor imply, anything whatever about price signalling and price fixing. As a matter of common sense, Ilford will be thinking about the fact that it prices 8x10 HP5+ 400 at $7.12 a sheet and Kodak Alaris is now pricing T-Max 400 at $17 a sheet. Also as a matter of common sense, people who shoot 8x10 ISO 400 B&W will be thinking about whether they want to spend $10/sheet more (240% more) for T-Max 400.

I happen to be making that decision now. I guess that I'm one of the people that you've branded as moaners. What I think is that you don't even know what the prices are, despite the fact that I put them right in front of you.
    Last edited by r.e.; 22-Jan-2022 at 23:57.

Ilford’s prices will likely increase as well, since the recent increases are due to material costs and supply issues.

Compare price changes with long-term silver spot price trends, as an example.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Prices never come down. So you must increase your income dedicated to your hobby or business, maybe even sacrifice elsewhere. I stopped eating lunch out and visiting coffee shops when I started working from home full time and saved myself $3000+ per year plus savings from not buying gas , work clothes, car repair, and other incidentals.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

thats the price of making art.

photography supplies, like many other art supplies, have always been expensive. although our cameras and lenses that once sold for thousands are dirt cheap now.

if you are selling your art, your profit margine is ridiculously high. if its only a hobby, the pleasure you get is priceless.

so whats the beef? if its too expensive, take up whittling.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Ilford’s prices will likely increase as well...
    I think the important point about Ilford is that it didn't give advance warning of its price increases in 2020 and 2021. Apparently they had immediate effect. There were two increases in 2020, and a third just before the August 4, 2021 spreadsheet in post #1. Kodak Alaris gave notice at the end of October that there would be "significant increases" in its prices for Kodak films, effective this month. Ilford has been silent since Kodak Alaris's October announcement.

For people who care about how much they pay for film stock, this suggests that purchasing decisions should be made now. The current gap between Ilford and Kodak pricing for 8x10 is particularly striking, with T-Max 400 costing 240% more per sheet than HP5+, and Tri-X 320 costing 200% more.