Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Price of Film Going Up

Re: Price of Film Going Up

T-max in 8x10 has always been outrageously expensive compared to HP5. I see absolutely no reason to choose TMY in that format over something like Delta 100.
    I feel bad for anyone who’s committed themselves to TMY and cannot find a way to switch to something less expensive. I wouldn’t want to be in that position. Two years ago I would not have guessed I’d be moving over to FP4, but that’s my first choice now, and I’m delighted by it.

I see no point in complaining about Kodak giving advance notice about price increases VS Ilford not doing so. (I recall that Ilford has given notice before a price hike, but I can’t verify that) You’d rather find out about a price rise only when you go to make a new purchase? Seems to me that this discussion started within the framework of “planning ahead”, in which case I would expect advance notice would be an asset.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    if its too expensive, take up whittling.
    Or take up digital to the exclusion of analogue. I don't share the view that demand for film is insensitive to price and that Ilford and Kodak can charge whatever they want.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Or take up digital to the exclusion of analogue. I don't share the view that demand for film is insensitive to price and that Ilford and Kodak can charge whatever they want.
    I think the reality is that K and I are charging what they have to in order to remain viable. We all know they’ve both been through a bankruptcy once…..

Clearly, most people who are shooting LF have some experience and therefore are probably not "blowing" a bunch of shots. I used to tell my more advanced students that they have to consider the cost of cheap, out of date, poorly coated, etc film with the potential loss of an image that will generate profits or pleasure (hobby). Imagine taking an 8x10 shot - how long did it take you to get to the location, set up, focus, etc. etc. Does that $10.00 (or whatever) difference really matter at that point? I was given a box of 8x10 film last year to test from a local teacher and was appalled at the chips and some coating issues in the emulsion. One occurred in the middle of a portrait. No thank you. There are other places to save.

Brian

Students who are attempting to gain a foundation need to have both high quality and good consistency in their materials. Fortunately, these attributes tend to travel together!

in the last 18 months, a lot of things have gone up significantly in price, not just film. I feel things will continue to go up in prices, especially anything that requires overseas logistics. shipping cost has gone up 10 fold for a lot of things for many reasons.

I bought 3 100 sheet boxes of delta 100 in july last year for $159, now its $200, so kodak is not the only company who raised prices. and at least they gave us a warning of the upcoming price increase. and in the US Foma has gone up in price a lot as well.

john

T-Max 10 sheets: $3.60/sheet (temporary $0.30 saving on this price)
    T-Max 50 sheets: $2.80/sheet
    Delta 25 sheets: $2.52/sheet
    Delta 100 sheets: $2.00/sheet

If one wants the best pricing, a 100 sheet box of Delta is $200, and two 50 sheet boxes of T-Max is $280, or 40% more expensive.
    If you buy 100 sheets. If you buy 25 sheets there's only a 10% difference. My wife shops at Costco and keeps getting those extra large quantities, half of which go bad before we eat them.

Have you looked at the actual prices? I don't regard an increase in the price of 10 sheets of 8x10 T-Max 400 from US$100 to $170 as "just the way it works". At the moment, at least, HP5+ is $10/sheet less. That may be spare change to you, but I daresay that some people, indeed most, would have a different view.

My point was that Kodak Alaris is effectively inviting its customers to change suppliers. I don't quite get how a 70% price increase can be interpreted as benignly as you suggest. Do you really regard this as normal, and anyone who questions it, to use your word, as a "moaner"?

A 70% price increase is 12 times the current pandemic-induced inflation rate in OECD member countries.

I'd also like to address this sentence in your post: "There is no "signaling" to each other." As it happens, antitrust law (competition law outside the U.S.) is one of the few things that I know something about. "Price signalling" is a technical term. You appear to have decided that I'm alleging that there's a price-fixing scheme in the works, which is where that term is relevant. I have no idea how you got that from what I wrote. I simply raised the question of how Ilford will respond to Kodak Alaris's price hikes.

I didn't say, nor imply, anything whatever about price signalling and price fixing. As a matter of common sense, Ilford will be thinking about the fact that it prices 8x10 HP5+ 400 at $7.12 a sheet and Kodak Alaris is now pricing T-Max 400 at $17 a sheet. Also as a matter of common sense, people who shoot 8x10 ISO 400 B&W will be thinking about whether they want to spend $10/sheet more (240% more) for T-Max 400.

I happen to be making that decision now. I guess that I'm one of the people that you've branded as moaners. What I think is that you don't even know what the prices are, despite the fact that I put them right in front of you.
    You're assuming that the other manufacturers won't raise their prices soon.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Lather, rinse, repeat.
    Yup. This nonsense even comes up somewhat less often here than it does at PHOTRIO.

Just two weeks ago the latest in a seemingly endless stream of such threads there prompted me to reply. I wrote:

"...nonsense is disgruntled Kodak-haters pissing in the wind bitching and moaning about prices. At PHOTRIO, of all places, a forum that represents a minuscule fraction of the film market's customers. Endlessly repeated whining that accomplishes nothing while occupying bandwidth and others' time. Nonsense, indeed."

And this site represents a fraction of PHOTRIO's minuscule fraction of the film market's customers! So enjoy pissing in the wind.

I'm sure Kodak considered the competition. But for whatever the reasons, increased cost of materials, labor or other reasons, they raised their prices. They understand higher prices means less demand and fewer sales especially when competition is so much cheaper. No company wants to price itself out of the market. My concern is that inflation is raising the prices of everything. So it's all being compounded.