Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: How many film holders do you bring for a day out?

Re: How many film holders do you bring for a day out?

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    But a good year for me these days is ten photographs in large format.
    Do you mean ten keepers or just ten shots?
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Drew Wiley

Day use : 8X10 - never more than 3, or if shooting both color and b&w, maybe two of each, maybe only one holder of each. With 4X5, potentially 3 holders each, but that's still a lot of hypothetical shots, 6 shots of each, way more than I ever actually do in a single day. But I actually own a lot more holders, and keep a number of them pre-loaded. And if on a long car trip, of course there will be more along ready to use. I'm no machine-gunner. If it ain't something exceptional enough to be warrant printing, it ain't worth popping the shutter either. If I'm going out snapshooting, it makes a lot more sense to take a roll film camera instead.

I take my grafmatic loaded with 6 sheets and 4 more film holders with 8, Sometimes I will 6 or 14 sheets. Depends if its street photography or if portraits.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Do you mean ten keepers or just ten shots?
    How many do you see me post?

Rick “who needs a project, and the time to do it” Denney

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Day use : 8X10 - never more than 3, or if shooting both color and b&w, maybe two of each, maybe only one holder of each. With 4X5, potentially 3 holders each, but that's still a lot of hypothetical shots, 6 shots of each, way more than I ever actually do in a single day. But I actually own a lot more holders, and keep a number of them pre-loaded. And if on a long car trip, of course there will be more along ready to use. I'm no machine-gunner. If it ain't something exceptional enough to be warrant printing, it ain't worth popping the shutter either. If I'm going out snapshooting, it makes a lot more sense to take a roll film camera instead.
    What he said.

Rick “also works with Pentax 645z and Pentax 67” Denney

5x12 three, 4x5 6 holders in the pack and 5 more in an accessory bag. 2 shots per holder. Plus I carry a 6x9 back for the 4x5 but have not really used it yet.

How many I actually use depends on how rich in targets the area is. I have only run out of film on 2 occasions and that was due to not setting shutter properly and had to scrap that shot, film falling out, or taking backups.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Niels

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Holte View Post
    Hi Niels,

I'm fairly new to 4x5 photography - got me a Toyo 45C View camera in May 2021 and a Toyo 45A Field camera in July 2021. The 45A Field is a dream to work with. I find three filmholders (6 exposures) sufficient for a short trip with the camera (we rarely do long hikes here in Denmark, do we?).
    <SNIP>
    Hello Lars - You are right, little chance to get lost on a hike in Denmark

Thanks for sharing your experiences. From a quick ebay search, 45C looks like a very economical entry into large format - but not a field camera of course. Did you buy the 45A because the 45C was impractical to carry along?

I am trying to look for secondhand alternatives to a new Intrepid camera, but most Wista and Toyo cameras in that price bracket comes with bellows in dubious condition and looks pretty trashed - although cosmetics are of little importance as long as it works as intended. But that is a completely different discussion for another day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Holte View Post

If you plan to do tray development of your sheets in full darkness, then you might consider shooting multiples of four, as that is a practical number for tray processing.
    <SNIP>
    I was thinking MOD54 or SP-445. I read that you are less likely to mess up if you only load the MOD54 with 4 sheets, so regardless of final choice, the probability is high that I end up with a "multiples of 4" setup.

I will see if I can find a batch of more than 4 4x5 holders at a fair price - and take it from there.
    ----
    Niels

Quote Originally Posted by nitroplait View Post
    I was thinking MOD54 or SP-445. I read that you are less likely to mess up if you only load the MOD54 with 4 sheets, so regardless of final choice, the probability is high that I end up with a "multiples of 4" setup.

I will see if I can find a batch of more than 4 4x5 holders at a fair price - and take it from there.
    Using a Jobo 2520 + 2509n I never messed up developping unless I poured in the wrong solution or messed up the dilution. And with rotation I can develop 6 of them with 270ml. Try to find a lot of 4x5 holders in Japan.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

On my photo road trips I tend to load up 25 5x7 holders in the hotel so to empty out two boxes of film. I really only shoot when the light is ideal so I end up using 10 or 12 sheets a day but I have had to load film in the field before so being prepared is the way to go.

Hello Lars - You are right, little chance to get lost on a hike in Denmark

Thanks for sharing your experiences. From a quick ebay search, 45C looks like a very economical entry into large format - but not a field camera of course. Did you buy the 45A because the 45C was impractical to carry along?
    <snip>
    I bought the 45C View because it was a bargain. It has a lot of movements and works great, but as you said it is not very practical out in the field (but of course it can be done, especially if you are working from a car). The bellows on mine was also full of small holes, but I managed to find a new bellows with frames together with a compendium hood for a very fair price on eBay.

The 45A Field is a true field camera and very well built (all metal construction) and very sturdy. I cannot recommend it enough. It does not have a lot of movements, but it has some to play with and drop-bed capability. The camera is sufficiently compact to be carried in a shoulder bag together with holders, light meter, lens(es) and focusing cloth. Mine came with 4 fine lenses from a Fujinon SWD 90mm f:5.6 to a Rodenstock Apo-Ronar 240mm f:9, revolving back, focusing hood, Schneider focusing loup, holders and a LöwePro Pro Roller 2 case. Sadly, the 45A and the 45C use different size lens boards.

I have tried tray development in complete darkness. It is not as difficult as it sounds. The problem is handling the sheets without scratching any of them. But the method works fine and is practical for odd batches and experimentation.

I use a Jobo Multitank 2 or 5 with either one or two 2509n reels for up to six or 12 sheets at a time in a Jobo film processor. Loading the sheets on the reels can be a bit fiddly - I should think loading 6 sheets in a MOD54 is easier.

I found the majority of my holders on the Danish used site dba.dk - with some patience you can find some there that are not too expensive.