Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: How many film holders do you bring for a day out?

Re: How many film holders do you bring for a day out?

Dark slides stored with holders for about three decades, never had a problem. What can be a problem if the dark slides are disconnected from their matching film holders, trying to sort out which dark slides fit a specific film holder. No fun at all.

Typically stored in a non-sealed plastic baggie 3 to 6 holders per baggie to keep dust and stuff of the film holders.

Sinar made adhesive film holders at some point in the past. Linhof and others made vacuum film holders at some point.
    Often not appreciated is the problem of film flatness in film holder AND accuracy-precision of registration from the ground glass to film surface in film holder. Yes, stopping down to lens apertures of f22 and MUCH smaller does/can make up for some of these camera/film holder problems except this is the the way to extract the absolute best possible performance out of the optics and all related.

Adhesive film holders have been discussed lots on LFF in the past, do a search on that topic.

~Simply does not believe enforcing the smallest possible lens aperture is the "in focus" cure-all,
    Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    Just 2 questions about this:
    - do you store the film holders with the darkslides in? I sometimes think it might be better for the velvet that the dark slide is out. But I never seen/read this so does it matter?
    - those adhesive film holder, any info about that? Is that commercial or diy? If diy then what adhesive is used?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Dark slides stored with holders for about three decades, never had a problem. What can be a problem if the dark slides are disconnected from their matching film holders, trying to sort out which dark slides fit a specific film holder. No fun at all.

Typically stored in a non-sealed plastic baggie 3 to 6 holders per baggie to keep dust and stuff of the film holders.

Sinar made adhesive film holders at some point in the past. Linhof and others made vacuum film holders at some point.
    Often not appreciated is the problem of film flatness in film holder AND accuracy-precision of registration from the ground glass to film surface in film holder. Yes, stopping down to lens apertures of f22 and MUCH smaller does/can make up for some of these camera/film holder problems except this is the the way to extract the absolute best possible performance out of the optics and all related.

Adhesive film holders have been discussed lots on LFF in the past, do a search on that topic.

~Simply does not believe enforcing the smallest possible lens aperture is the "in focus" cure-all,
    Bernice
    How do you prove focus point registration is accurate?

Measured using precision measuring tools and methods. Previously discussed:

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...nd-glass/page2

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-holders/page2

This is one of the realities of why properly designed and produced metal view camera has much better odds of holding accuracy/precision needed for precise/accurate/consistent placement of the ground glass_image to film in film holder compared to wood cameras. All back to what the image goals are, what lenses-optics are required to achieve this which determines requirements for the camera to properly support these needs.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    How do you prove focus point registration is accurate?

I have a Chamonix 45H-1 with their wooden 4x5 holders. The camera comes with a fresnel lens. Has anyone ever checked out this camera or another Chamonix to see how accurately they focus?

Best to test your specific camera as there will be production variations of tolerance and more involved. Test of other cameras are an estimate at best. Majority of high quality view cameras are not an issue. If this was never a problem before, the odds of it being a problem now could be perceived not real.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I have a Chamonix 45H-1 with their wooden 4x5 holders. The camera comes with a fresnel lens. Has anyone ever checked out this camera or another Chamonix to see how accurately they focus?

Eric Woodbury

All my Deardorffs, 3 of them, needed the ground glass repositioned. I did it by measurement, but photograph a ruler with small f/# works too.