Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many film holders do you bring for a day out?

Re: How many film holders do you bring for a day out?

If a lot of walking is required, 6 8x10 holders, 10 4x5 holders (if shooting only 4x5). If it's roadside, then both 4x5 and 8x10. All holders...15, 8x10. 20, 4x5. I'll usually have HP5, FP4, Shanghai, Adox 100, Efke 25, (as well as Rollei IR, Efke in summer months). I don't use them all...but you never know.

I thought I was simply too fiddle and unproductive. A great day for me is 5 maybe 6 shots.
    Kevin Taylor
    Bonehead amateur

Quote Originally Posted by David Schaller View Post
    For 4x5, I think you should buy 12 holders. Taking 6 out for a few hours should be sufficient, and you would have the other 6 loaded for another shoot. I still take two exposures of each shot, both sides of the holder, so it might be some time before I get around to developing the second sheet. If you have too many holders, those undeveloped sheets can pile up.
    I agree with this. I shoot only B&W, and take 3 holders loaded with ASA 100 and 3 with ASA 400 in my pack, have the same in the car (for landscape). I can then trade out exposed film for unexposed when I go to another location. I develop 6 sheets at a time, so having 12 holders allows me to have some loaded holders if I want to shoot on some occasion before I get time to process exposed film.

Quote Originally Posted by metalsmith View Post
    I thought I was simply too fiddle and unproductive. A great day for me is 5 maybe 6 shots.
    You are not alone! My wife always enjoys asking me how many pictures I took after a day of LF photography. The number generally comes in between 1 and 4.

I tend to think in sixes, since I develop in a Mod54/ Patterson setup. To that end, my everyday bag contains three holders in a Stone 4x5 triple sleeve that can be slung around my neck--very convenient. It's a rare day that I see, or have time to shoot, six large format images, but to prepare for any eventuality, I also keep a loaded Grafmatic in the bottom of the bag. You never know.
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Poole View Post
    my everyday bag contains three holders in a Stone 4x5 triple sleeve that can be slung around my neck--very convenient.
    I'm also a fan of Daniel Stone's sleeves for film holders. Niels might find it useful to look at this thread, which talks about the 4x5 Triple Sleeve that you use: Film Holder Sleeves: Gnass Gear > Stone Photo

Niels

All very helpful and enlightening - Thanks a lot!
    A lot of people shoot a bit more than I imagined - possibly even more frames than I would on an average day out with my medium format camera.
    I think we have covered many aspects to consider; portability, processing capability, preparedness for eventualities or preparedness for next shoot.
    I understand the devil is in the details, and the details are different for everyone - but now I have an informed place to begin - thanks for that.
    ----
    Niels

Like many others I work in multiples of 6 sheets. So mostly 6 holders. All the same film or 2 types.

I do tend to buy boxes of 25 sheets and then load the complete box in holders, mark the holder what is in it and keep them ready so I don't need to start loading holders just before an opportunity. Loading holders in a hurry never worked for me.

It may look like I shoot a lot of film that way but last year I didn't even got the 4x5 out. Did a roll or 5 of medium format last year.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

When I'm working with 5x7 and driving to a location...I'll bring a dozen loaded holders in three separate RPT "Cascade" cases, with each holder also secured in its own Ziploc bag. When I arrive on or near the location, depending on how far I anticipate walking and/or how long I think I might be away from my car...I will either take all of this film with me or leave some of it in the car (protected from heat if its hot out).

In the case of the above scenario but with 4x5 film, I might take twenty four holders, but will typically leave some in the car.

For a quicker "walkabout" or a longer, more strenuous hike/climb, I will take one RTP case with four 5x7 holders, or a small shoulder bag with seven 4x5 holders.

Two additional factors which affect me more and more lately: one - At 67 yrs., I'm really starting to feel my age these days and cannot schlep as much as in the past. And two: as film prices continue to escalate, I find myself being a bit more careful in making my exposures...and will often make "onesies" where I more typically used to make at least one backup negative and/or try different settings (aperture/shutter speed, focus, movements) for the same composition.

multiplex

hi Niels

I hate to say this because it really doesn't help you much ... but "it depends"
    it depends on the camera I am using (some don't take holders but the media is inside them )
    if it is a camera that needs holders I just grab a handful unless I know in advance the situation then sometimes I've had to bring 20-30 of them.

John