Thread: Tutorial: convert regular cable release to work with Horseman/Seiko shutters

Tutorial: convert regular cable release to work with Horseman/Seiko shutters

Describing this as a tutorial is perhaps over-egging things but, hopefully, any current or prospective Horseman camera users will find this helpful.

Context

Most Horseman lenses are mounted to Seiko-SLV shutters. Among other quirks, these use an unusual clamp to attach a shutter release cable as opposed to a typical threaded mount.

This hole is approximately 7mm in diameter and 9mm deep. The swivelling portion of a normal cable release is approximately 4mm in diameter.

Solution 1

As a quick hack, wrap your cable release with a few layers of electrical tape to suit the shutter. This works, but is unsightly and, if you're unlucky, stops the 'trigger' of the cable release from lining up with the small opening at the base of the hole.

Solution 2

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horseman modified cable release.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	223730

My preferred (and much neater) method is as follows:

1. Grab a sacrificial cable release that you're happy to modify
    2. Grind/file off the threaded end of the cable release
    3. Glue a bicycle brake ferrule onto the end of the cable release. I used superglue ,but some kind of epoxy solution that would fill the void between the ferrule and cable release would be better.
    4. Ensure your cable release can still move, then cover the end of the cable release in heat shrink

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Horseman shutter front view adapted.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	223731

The combination of the ferrule and heat shrink is *exactly* the right dimensions for the clamp – I cannot describe how satisfying this is. The heatshrink also has the added bonus of adding some extra grip.

I hope that helps!

Re: Tutorial: convert regular cable release to work with Horseman/Seiko shutters

It does help!

I have the correct Horseman cable

But I have the bicycle part too and will make one

Thanks for posting!