Thread: Toyo Compendium on Canham 5x7?

Toyo Compendium on Canham 5x7?

Hello everynoe,

I would like to ask a simple question, does the Toyo compendium (smaller one for Toyo Field 45A) fit on Canham Traditonal 5x7 camera? I own booth camera but not any compendiums. Somehow I prefer the Toyo over Canham one as it is easier to get secondhand and Now I have a nice offer for one. Threaded opening on both cameras seem similar in diameter but I did not measured or compared them precisely with some calliper or so.

Any input would be appreciated!

Re: Toyo Compendium on Canham 5x7?

I don't know the answer. But I tried to experiment with compendium hoods which I found aesthetically pleasing. In the end, a baseball hat wins.

Do or do not. There is no try.

Have you tried asking Keith Canham? He would know if anyone does. You can contact him through his web site.

I believe the Canham uses 110mm lens boards, while the Toyo uses the smaller Linhof-style boards. This suggests the Canham front standard dimensions are likely to be different (larger), meaning you might need some kind of adapter to get the Toyo compendium properly centered.

Would like to know too! Canham and Toyo Field have the same sized boards.

Do or do not. There is no try.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    Would like to know too! Canham and Toyo Field have the same sized boards.
    Oh yeah, duh! Toyo… Please ignore the second part of my earlier comment. But it’s still worth asking Keith directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    Have you tried asking Keith Canham? He would know if anyone does. You can contact him through his web site.

I believe the Canham uses 110mm lens boards, while the Toyo uses the smaller Linhof-style boards. This suggests the Canham front standard dimensions are likely to be different (larger), meaning you might need some kind of adapter to get the Toyo compendium properly centered.
    It’s not just board size. It’s also film format. Since 45 and 57 are different ratios.

Quote Originally Posted by bourvil View Post
    Hello everynoe,

I would like to ask a simple question, does the Toyo compendium (smaller one for Toyo Field 45A) fit on Canham Traditonal 5x7 camera? I own booth camera but not any compendiums. Somehow I prefer the Toyo over Canham one as it is easier to get secondhand and Now I have a nice offer for one. Threaded opening on both cameras seem similar in diameter but I did not measured or compared them precisely with some calliper or so.

Any input would be appreciated!

Although the Toyo lens hood does not fit the Canham MQC57 out of the box, I found a fairly simple and clean way to adapt that hood to the Canham 5x7. The Canham MQC57 is a wonderful camera, but Mr. Canham no longer makes compendium hoods for it, so it's DIY to fit a new compendium hood to Canham cameras.

1. The Toyo 1660 "Collapsible Lens Hood 4F" almost but not quite fits a Canham MQC57 ( I got mine new in mid-2021). With some straightforward modification to the Toyo hood only, it works great with a Canham 5x7. Only the Toyo 4F and recent good quality 4F clones out of China will work. The Toyo hood for the G series cameras is quite a bit different and won't be suitable for mounting on the Canham.

2. Unscrew and set aside the front halves of the two extension rods that the hood slides on as well as the hood itself.

3. The Toyo mounting screw is too thin to attach to the Canham's single screw attachment point. Remove the snap retaining ring and then remove the attachment knob.

4. The Canham uses a 10-32 screw, which is slightly larger than the original Toyo metric screw. Because you need the replacement mounting screw to rotate freely in the bracket itself, drill out the bracket screw hole with a very slightly larger drill bit. The bracket's soft aluminum makes this very easy. As your new attachment bolt, use a 10-32 by 7/16" length knurled head stainless steel screw bolt from Home Depot to attach the hood. Use a washer on between the bracket and the knurled head screw and secure the 10-32 bolt below the bracket with a 3/16" snap-on "E" clip retaining ring, also from Home Depot. Attach the new 10-32 knurled head screw after completing step 5 to reconfigure the bracket.

5. There are two thin metal edge lips on the 4F/clones that prevent the hood from seating on the Canham. They are made of very soft aluminum. Cut both lips off the mounting bracket. Then, with a wide, flat metal file, smooth off the bottom of the mounting bracket so that it is flat and smooth, as well as getting the angle correct so that the bracket lies flat and the extension rods are perpendicular to the front standard. On the 4F, the base has a slight tilt for whatever reason. See below for the finished base, which attaches securely even without the lips.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0526.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	224152

6. Reassemble with the 10-32 attachment bolt replacement and the smoothed base. The Toyo 4F / clone compendium attaches very nicely. Total cost is about $110 including a new compendium lens hood from *Bay and bits and pieces from our local hardware store.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0521.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	224151
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0525.jpg  
    Last edited by Joseph Kashi; 30-Jan-2022 at 18:16.

Many thanks for all the replies - especially Joseph Kashi for excellent DIY!

I already ordered the hood for Toyo 45A and when it comes and depending on its condition I will either modify it for Canham or use it for Toyo.

It is a pitty that the systems are different/incompatible and very similar at the same time. It would be nice to have one hood for both cameras. And finally it is pitty that Keith is not making hoods any more as its design with monorail is better than Toyo.