Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pentax 67 fisheye on a 4x5 Sinar

Re: Pentax 67 fisheye on a 4x5 Sinar

Not to be forgotten or neglected, the 30mm f3.5 Zodiak for Pentacon 6x6.. fisheye.
    These are a LOT better optically than most would believe or know. Having converted more than one to Hasselblad "F" body then comparing the results to the official Zeiss-Hasselblad 30mm Distagon fisheye which are near identical at every aperture.
    https://www.pentaconsix.com/30mmpt1.htm

The other great winner "East Block" lens would be the 180mm f2.8 Sonnar, last version multi-coated (MC in red font) was simply excellent and better than any Zeiss-Hasselblad offering.

These can still be had for not a lot of $ and usable on a view camera with Sinar shutter and Pentacon 6 adapter mounted to a Sinar lens board.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30mm f3.5 EEU fisheye.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	223791

Bernice

Century Precision optics also made these "fish eye" adapters. They were used for cinema work at the times when a fisheye effect was needed. Century Precision Optics made a variety of speciality optics and converted lenses (Canon 300mm f2.8, Kinoptic and others) for the Cinema industry. They are now part of Schneider which still offers some of these focal length reducers.

Notable, Stanley Kubrick's use of the Zeiss 50mm f0.7 Planar got a focal length reducer as the 50mm focal length alone was not suitable for what was needed. Zeiss made a special for SK.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Not to be forgotten or neglected, the 30mm f3.5 Zodiak for Pentacon 6x6.. fisheye.
    These are a LOT better optically than most would believe or know. Having converted more than one to Hasselblad "F" body then comparing the results to the official Zeiss-Hasselblad 30mm Distagon fisheye which are near identical at every aperture.
    https://www.pentaconsix.com/30mmpt1.htm

The other great winner "East Block" lens would be the 180mm f2.8 Sonnar, last version multi-coated (MC in red font) was simply excellent and better than any Zeiss-Hasselblad offering.

These can still be had for not a lot of $ and usable on a view camera with Sinar shutter and Pentacon 6 adapter mounted to a Sinar lens board.

Name:	30mm f3.5 EEU fisheye.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	223791

Bernice
    I have a couple of the Arsat/Zodiak 30mm fisheyes and also the Takumar 35mm fisheye. The Pentax has severe lateral color that can be corrected in software (or filtered out for black and white). But the Arsat is still sharper in the corners.

The Pentax has better color.

Neither is going to support the illusion of endless detail it a very large print. The Pentax might also bleed off the top and bottom edges of 4x5 if one wants the full circle, but the Arsat has shade ears (really for protecting the lens) on the sides and at top and bottom, and these will invade the circular image.

Both are heavy—I would probably brace the standards together across the top.

Rick “who ought to compare these on the 645z” Denney

Greg...have you gotten around to making a 4x5 negative with your Pentax 6x7 fisheye? Would love to see the result of this!

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Greg...have you gotten around to making a 4x5 negative with your Pentax 6x7 fisheye? Would love to see the result of this!
    John,
    Sinar lens board due here next week. Took apart the "Adapter for Pentax 67 PK67 Lens to Canon EOS EF Mount" and was very surprised to find that the front 8mm section that houses the female Pentax 67 mount is made of pressed metal. Normally I would have used the four holes present to insert small "bolts" into and screw them into threaded holes in the lens board, but doing it this way would very easily distort the pressed metal mount. Instead, I will cut a slightly oversized hole in the lens board and secure the mount to the board with JBWeld. The female mount will have an extension tube in it as the JBWeld is curing so as not to glue up a distorted female mount. Won't look all that great, but will work. The circular image visually seemed to be about 3.5 inches in diameter. I am hoping that this ends up being the correct diameter of the image. If so it will be very easy to fabricate a negative carrier with a 3.5 inch circular hole in it. If the projected image turns out to be more than 4 inches in diameter, then substituting a 5x7 back to the Norma would work. Images to follow up as soon as I can shoot some sample negatives. FYI: A time ago I did the same setup with a 28mm PC Nikkor. Resulting images were sharp but lacked the fisheye effect.

Here's what my Mamiya 37mm looks like on my Toko:

Name:	37MM.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	223849

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Sinar lens board finally arrived and figured that before permanently attaching the Pentax 67 female mount to the board, I would generously hot glue it to the lens board and see if it all actually worked out, and then finally get outside to make a quick test exposure. Attached is the test exposure that I made this afternoon. Actual image on the negative is a whole lot sharper than the attached image. On the whole I am very satisfied with how everything worked out. Only problem was a slight bit of fogging on the negative caused by some light piping through the clear hot glue and then bouncing around inside the adapter. Will be an easy fix by just painting the hot glue with black paint. Camera is at the front end of the rail and the whole thing is a bit front heavy. The fisheye lens weighs a bit. Focusing is very easy with a magnifier on the GG, and viewing the image is best done with a Sinar Binocular reflex finder. Focusing while viewing through the reflex finder is very hard to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pentax67adapter.jpg   SinarFisheye.jpg   fisheye.jpg  

Congratulations!!! Welcome to the family. We are a rare breed!!

Greg that image looks great! A nice feeling of sharpness right out to the periphery. Congrats, and looking forward to seeing more!

Nice job. I gotta get the lens board worked out for mine!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome