Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pentax 67 fisheye on a 4x5 Sinar

Pentax 67 fisheye on a 4x5 Sinar

Snowed in a few days ago so I finally got around to seeing if I could somehow use my Pentax 67 35mm F4.5 FishEye on my 4x5 Sinar Norma. Front standard will be moved all the way to the front of the rail, Sinar Copal shutter mounted behind the front standard, WA bellows, rear standard pushed forward till touching the front standard, and then finally rail clamp in the rear, The "fine focussing adjustment" on the front standard moved back, and the rear standard's "fine focusing adjustment" moved forward as much as I could get it go. I held a black Foamcore "lens board" with the 35mm FishEye pressed to it in front of the front standard. Amazingly, I had to move the front standard's "fine focusing adjustment" forward about 10mm to achieve focus on the GG. As for mounting the 67 lens onto the Sinar board, for under $30.00 I found an "Adapter for Pentax 67 PK67 Lens to Canon EOS EF Mount" on eBay for under $30.00. Front piece of the adapter is 8mm thick and easily detached from the adapter by 4 screws. I will be using this part of the adapter and attach it to a Sinar board. This actually will give me an extra 2-3mm clearance to achieve infinity focus with the lens focused at infinity. Lens locking pin I most probably will have to do without, but that is no big deal. Viewing the image on the GG with fresnel lens in place and it looked to be super sharp. Image thrown by the Pentax 67 35mm F4.5 FishEye seems to be about 3.5 inches in diameter, perfect for shooting with 4x5 film. Since the front of the lens will stick out in front of the rail, the fisheye image will not include in it the front of the rail. Only piece that I am presently missing is a spare Sinar lens board. Should be getting one in about a week from now. Goal is to shoot some fisheye images of local waterfalls, streams, and gorges come springtime. Now looking for an auxiliary fisheye finder to mount on top of the camera. Add a grip to the bottom of the rail clamp, and I should have a very portable Sinar "Fisheye Handy camera". Scanning the 4x5 film negatives, and making larger digital negatives to print Platinum/Palladium prints from. When I get the camera all together will follow up with some images.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SinarFisheye.jpg   Fisheye&Adapter.jpg  

Re: Pentax 67 fisheye on a 4x5 Sinar

Good luck with that combination Greg. I tried something similar with a Tachihara and the Mamiya RB Fisheye lens. Here's an example:

Noosa River, 37mm Fisheye

Gelatin-silver photograph on Ilford Classic VC FB photographic paper, image size about 16cm diameter, from a 4x5 Fomapan 100 negative
    exposed in a Tachihara 45GF field view camera fitted with a Mamiya 37mm f4.5 fisheye lens and red filter.

The Sinar will surely be a better camera than the little Tachihara which was trying to sag under the weight of all that fisheye glass.
    And the Mamiya fisheye has four little "ears" that act as a lens shade (?) but they intrude on the edge of the 4x5 image and spoil the clean
    round rim a full frame fisheye ought to show. The big Pentax fisheye should deliver a nicer look.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Following! I've always wanted to get my 6x7 fisheye on a Speed Graphic.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I always thought the Pentax fisheye had potential, but what do you use as a shutter?

I use a Mamiya 37mm fisheye on my Toko 4x5 field camera without any problem. I had to file off the four small non-removable lens shade tabs, but it works great due to its LONG flange focal length and built-in shutter.

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/gonefishin.pdf

If you're on a Sinar (as in the title of the thread), then obviously, you use the Sinar Copal shutter behind the front standard. If you're not, then you have to hack something together with a dark slide or packard.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it, the dark slides probably wont work well due to the shape of the front of the lens (impossible to fully block off), but a behind the lens packard should still be fine.

Or Speed Graphic.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I'd be happy using a 30mm fisheye on my Rollei assuming I ever found one for sale.

Pentax 67 fisheye on a 4x5 Sinar

I’ve had the same thoughts but never got past the thinking stage. I’m following, too.

Rick “has all the necessary bits in hand” Denney

I must have got lucky years ago when I bought a (cheap) Kenko ser# 7 screw-on fisheye adapter that worked very well...

Best worked with semi-wide to wide lenses on all formats, but usually used with a 65mm/f8 SA... (IC was smaller than frame...)

Steve K

I had one of those 0.15X fisheye adapters once. Mine was a Series #7 type. Same as the Kenko. Even stopped down all the way, the edges were fuzzy beyond belief. Good for a laugh, I suppose. on the other hand, I did get some surprisingly good shots -- stopped way down, of course -- from a Spiratone Curvatar, which is a fisheye, but only about 160°