Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo Era Favorite & Why

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Photo Era Favorite & Why

I prefer 1895 era, the switch from glass plate to 'flexible plastic' was well under way, so I can use either

Bicycles and cameras a great combo, the era was amazingly innovative

I like how X-Ray film emulates Ortho, so we have a good supply!

I love soft focus, it is very similar to how I actually see, since a child. 'Fuzzy'! I don't see detail.

I do cheat with Flash Bulbs and Strobes

Re: Photo Era Favorite & Why

Love the one you're with...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

30's and 40's The period when I was first learning about photography. I'm still learning.

Right now. Because
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

~Nature will NOT be Denied.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for men if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    30's and 40's The period when I was first learning about photography. I'm still learning.
    I'll pick up where Jim left off. The favorite era for me was the 50's in the Bay Area. I was thirteen when I stared photographing in 1953, and was surrounded by a large group of extremely talented photographers. Many had been students in the photography program started by Ansel Adams at the California School of Fine Arts in San Francisco shortly after the end of WWII. There was a tremendous energy provided by a faculty including, Ansel, Dorothea Lange, Imogen Cunningham, Minor White, Edward Weston, and Lisette Model among them. The students were diverse in their work, many later well-known, and several nonagenarians still alive. I am in touch with them, and grateful for their inspiration and encouragement in my early years. Research of that time will lead you to a book of the CSFA, rightly named "The Golden Decade." It was for me.

Fave Foto era in the past, 1980's - 1990's.. when film was tops and the San Francisco bay area Foto district was a buzzing hive of creative energy.

Fave Foto era is now and tomorrow as there are creative images to be made, memories to be shared and much more.

Bernice

I'll go with the pre-WWII era... High quality, affordable gear mass produced for an expanding market...

An example is enlargers... Decades before, was a high tech item (often custom), for the very few... Heck, decades before most homes didn't even have electricity yet!!!

Steve K

I would echo Merg's sentiments just about to the word...except that I came along a bit too late (1954), and on the wrong coast!

Today. View cameras are reasonably priced. I love the 40s and 50s era. I have a bunch of Kodak books from that era. I've got Deardorffs from that era. I can afford things today which is nice. I've usually got things when others want rid of it, that's a 21st century thing.