Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there an active repair service in the USA that adjusts Graflex 4x5 rangefinders?

Question Is there an active repair service in the USA that adjusts Graflex 4x5 rangefinders?

I want to send my Graflex 4x5 to a professional to attach a rangefinder and calibrate it to my 150mm lens. I tried sourcing and calibrating one in the past, but I quickly realized that I'm better off just pressing the shutter button . Family portrait sessions feel like hardcore sports photography because my subjects are incapable of sitting still. I can still achieve critical focus without a rangefinder. Having one would make my life easier, though.

Who would you recommend?

Re: Is there an active repair service in the USA that adjusts Graflex 4x5 rangefinder

I had that work done by Charles Monday - he’s 45PSS on graflex.org and shutterfinger on Photrio. He doesn’t post here.

Re: Is there an active repair service in the USA that adjusts Graflex 4x5 rangefinder

Thanks! Do you have an email address you could PM me or does he only communicate via the forum?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Talk to Steve’s Camera Repair in Culver City, CA… they once would do that (and more).

Hi, I have had good dealings with ZACKS CAMERA REPAIR in Providence RI. Michael is most excellent and reasonable prices especially for Speed graphic and medium format equipment.

Thanks @BrianShaw and @Fly Fisher. I'll call and decide between whoever is available sooner.

Hi,
    Zacks Camera Repair in Providence, RI .He has a website and has always done great work for me at reasonable prices. I also have a Speed Graphic (Pacemaker) model which I will send to him. I live in Massachusetts about a 1/2 drive from away.
    It has two shutters a focal plane and front shutter. They both work ,.but the front shutter is a bit slow in the slow speeds.
    Have you tried putting new batteries in the range finder .Some take two AA s. You only need a screw driver . Graphic had both Kalert as well as Kodak finders.
    Hope this is helpful.
    Fly Fisher

Quote Originally Posted by fly fisher View Post
    Hi,
    Zacks Camera Repair in Providence, RI .He has a website and has always done great work for me at reasonable prices. I also have a Speed Graphic (Pacemaker) model which I will send to him. I live in Massachusetts about a 1/2 drive from away.
    It has two shutters a focal plane and front shutter. They both work ,.but the front shutter is a bit slow in the slow speeds.
    Have you tried putting new batteries in the range finder .Some take two AA s. You only need a screw driver . Graphic had both Kalert as well as Kodak finders.
    Hope this is helpful.
    Fly Fisher
    Thanks! I was planning to ask the moderator to close/remove this thread because I just decided that I would rather save up for a 5x7 camera than fix this 4x5's rangefinder. I only have enough space to make contact prints and 4x5 ones are underwhelming. I will just sell this Crown Graphic once I finish my remaining 4x5 sheets.

I had no idea that some rangefinders were battery powered though. The rangefinder I had wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by fly fisher View Post
    Hi, I have had good dealings with ZACKS CAMERA REPAIR in Providence RI. Michael is most excellent and reasonable prices especially for Speed graphic and medium format equipment.
    Second that. He has overhauled a bunch of shutters for me over the years in a very, very timely matter. His prices are more than fair.

Thanks, everyone! I thought about this more and decided against fixing my rangefinder. I'll invest that money towards film or chemistry instead because the camera I plan to replace my Graflex Crown Graphic with won't have a rangefinder. I don't plan to hang on the Crown Graphic forever. Also, I figure that I just need to learn to move faster or adjust everyone's posing to fix this movement issue.

I always like seeing the "resolution" to a thread so that's why I'm posting this final message.