Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: New Autofocus 4x5"

Re: New Autofocus 4x5"

...and while one might argue for the effectiveness of a mechanical rangefinder, an additional advantage of autofocus is quick, real-time focus adjustments while maintaining a steady grip on the camera when doing hand-helds.

Makes me wonder about coupling this camera with the "motorized" 4x5 film back that was produced a number of years ago...by Sinar I think?

When?
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    ...and while one might argue for the effectiveness of a mechanical rangefinder, an additional advantage of autofocus is quick, real-time focus adjustments while maintaining a steady grip on the camera when doing hand-helds.

Makes me wonder about coupling this camera with the "motorized" 4x5 film back that was produced a number of years ago...by Sinar I think?
    The actually main reason i build this, is the same as on the digital rangefinder module that i built. It enables you to switch lenses, that's the main benefit of this system. There is basically no limitations in what lenses, and how many lenses you can use on this. And you can move from one lens to another via few clicks, same as from formats. Like going from 4x5" to 6x7 and 6x12 and back on the same photoshoot. Its just brings so much flexibility.

Do you have any information about this motorized 4x5" back? I have never seen anything like that and i thought i was in the know about all the weird obscure 4x5" gear out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    When?
    When it's ready, all my predictions have been so off that it's pointless to try to make them anymore. But its now in a good phase.

Good fortune to you!
    Tin Can

The motorized 4x5 holder was called the "Apeiron Load 50" and held (you guessed it) 50 sheets. I believe it was at least demonstrated as a prototype during a Photokina back in the 1990's (or late '80's?) - but I'm not sure that any made it out into the world as actual production models.

My guess is that Bob S. could chime in on this. Bob are you around?

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Buying a large format camera with auto-focus is like buying a self-driving sports car.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Not quite

The camera won't kill anybody
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    The motorized 4x5 holder was called the "Apeiron Load 50" and held (you guessed it) 50 sheets. I believe it was at least demonstrated as a prototype during a Photokina back in the 1990's (or late '80's?) - but I'm not sure that any made it out into the world as actual production models.

My guess is that Bob S. could chime in on this. Bob are you around?
    Thanks, seems there were at least on in ebay at some point but the only picture i could find was this small clip from some paper:

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1304565

Interesting stuff!

Would be interesting to bring this (Load-50) back and tweak it to integrate ergonomically with your auto focus platform. But man oh man at 50 frames per minute - make sure it has a single shot function! Then again, this rate capability would help to ensure that the camera would be ready for what is often that crucial "second frame" in the realm of candids/portraiture.