Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: New Autofocus 4x5"

Re: New Autofocus 4x5"

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Would be interesting to bring this (Load-50) back and tweak it to integrate ergonomically with your auto focus platform. But man oh man at 50 frames per minute - make sure it has a single shot function! Then again, this rate capability would help to ensure that the camera would be ready for what is often that crucial "second frame" in the realm of candids/portraiture.
    I have thought about building something similar, but the design would have the be quite different to make any sense. As that thing is huge.

But currently grafmatics & kinematics are enough for me. As those give similar usability to medium format (6-10 sheets), and that's the goal. It does not need to chew film, just bring the usability to the level of medium format.

And as the back is designed to be fast, its easy enough to go from holders to holder.
    Last edited by fist; 21-Mar-2023 at 06:37.

This was the last piece i wanted to implement for this camera, full GX680 lens support.
    So you can set the shutter speed from the body, shutter automatically cocks, and aperture is communicated to the body.
    And no need for cable releases, so these lenses turn this camera into a more integrated system.
    Basically it also enables aperture priority auto, if you are into that sort of stuff.
    It will be a separate lens mount module that connects to the camera.
    I will also make a separate control unit for it at some point if people want to use it on other cameras.

https://www.instagram.com/conflict.cameras/

So it will be sold as finished product, minus lenses?

The blind like me, are interested!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    So it will be sold as finished product, minus lenses?

The blind like me, are interested!
    Yes, both the camera & GX680 mount will be a finished products.

The GX680 mount will be an additional module you can get separately, and the camera will fully support it.

Have you checked to see if the GX680 lenses cover 4x5? I seriously doubt the 100mm and shorter ones will cover 4x5. You may be able to use a select few only.
    Repenting Sinar Blasphemer ... stonings at 11

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    Have you checked to see if the GX680 lenses cover 4x5? I seriously doubt the 100mm and shorter ones will cover 4x5. You may be able to use a select few only.
    Yes, only some of them cover 4x5". I think the 55 & 65mm won't cover, others should. They are also retrofocus, so not sure do people want to use the shorter lenses.. but that's up to them.
    I definitely want to use some of these, they are interesting lenses. Retrofocus wides & telefocus longer lenses. Going to pick up a 250mm next.
    And you can always use 6x12 & other roll film holders, so anything goes.
    As this camera does not have any movements, these lenses might be actually a perfect fit. Smaller image circles usually translate to higher resolving power. And these lenses should be quite high quality.

The only issue is that they are unnecessary large because of the casing.
    The shutter is also not optimal, as its made for an SLR so its made to be open all the time. You cant cock it whitout opening it for a moment, you can see that on the video. How the cocking opens and closes the shutter.
    So you always need to have a darkslide in when you cock this shutter. But i think its still worth it, controlling everything from the body really adds a lot.

I also tested mounting a Compound #5 behind the lens standard. Its makes perfect sense, as then the shutter no longer has to carry the weight of the lens.
    Now I need to find a Betax 5 for this for that press cocking.

I realised that this camera can support longer lenses, i never really thought about it before as i was kinda set to max 150mm. And max use longer lenses with really limited focus range.
    But after some number crunching, i should get from infinity to 1m even on a 210mm lens.

Now i'm moving into a larger lens mount, so i can better use longer lenses with longer extension tubes.

A big part of this system is the lens mount, the point is that it would be as easy as possible to use a wide range of lenses on this.
    Eliminating the whole lens board hassle, or expensive proprietary extension boards etc.
    The GX680 lens mount module is just one special mount, that enables all the electronic control.

I wonder about using a finger to chose focus area

or any pointy stick

We often shift POV with focus
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I wonder about using a finger to chose focus area

or any pointy stick

We often shift POV with focus
    I don't understand, a pointy stick to do what?

Oh you mean like multi point AF? This is just a single point AF.

Multi point sensors would not have the distance or accuracy that this has, usually they only work on short range. And the accuracy is in the centimeter range, this has accuracy of 1-2mm.

And multi point AF is paint in the ass to use, i have neve bothered to use anything but the center point. The selection process is so slow that it negates the whole idea of having an AF.

I might test some triangulation systems to compensate, but im not sure will it be necessary. Maybe only for extremely close range shooting.

Basically the same limitation as a rangefinder in this sense.