Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Point Reyes Advice?

Re: Point Reyes Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    If you have the time, Alamere Falls would be good after all the rain. Here's my take of it back in 2006 with a P67II:

Another is Pirates Cove:

I shot the Cove at sunset with a 45mm lens on a P67II when the tide was just starting to come in. Check tides at NOAA for tidal predictions for Pt. Reyes: https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/no...tml?id=9415020. To shoot it at sunset as in the image above, you need a minus tide.

For Info on Alamere Falls: https://bahiker.com/northbayhikes/palomarin.html

Thomas
    Thanks for the link to the tides!
    For some reason the links to the photos are not working (?).

Drew Wiley

Note that specific tide timing can vary depending on specific location, and thus there will be multiple listings for the same general area. There are only a few spots where you have to worry about being caught behind a high tide if you are especially adventurous. But sneaker waves or rip tides along beaches are always a possibility if you wade in. These aren't exactly swimming beaches anyway, unless you're a surfer or abalone diver in a wet suit more interested in feeding sharks than photography. Nearly all the main beaches are broad enough to be accessible at high tide, though sand and dune walking is a lot more tedious than closer to the water. For a sample of it all in a short walk, I'd recommend Kehoe Beach or Abbots Lagoon. I think portions of Drakes Beach and North Beach are now seasonally closed due to wildlife protections. I wouldn't bother with the crowded beach at Inverness unless you want to rent a sea kayak there yourself. Limantour Beach is quite long both directions, but check for road restrictions first; there still might be a lot of road repair and forest fire cleanup going on.

Here's some of the HAER photos of the radio stations...

https://www.loc.gov/resource/hhh.ca3...tos?st=gallery

Drew Wiley

There are numerous tree tunnels in Pt Reyes, but most of them are natural and up atop cloud forest ridges, magical spots, but involve a distinct amount of uphill hiking, pretty much full afternoon or all day affairs allowing for shooting time. I've hauled up the 8x10 many times, but now into my 70's, lighter gear is sometimes substituted. Lovely old planted cypress groves exist in multiple places. They were effective farm windbreaks under those almost constantly windy coastal conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Here's some of the HAER photos of the radio stations...

https://www.loc.gov/resource/hhh.ca3...tos?st=gallery
    Thank you very much for this. Photographs by Jet Lowe. I was fortunate enough to get to meet him some years ago at a meeting of the Society for Industrial Archeology; got my copy his book Industrial Eye autographed.

David