Thread: Anybody disassembled an Eizo monitor?

Anybody disassembled an Eizo monitor?

I have an Eizo CX271 that I bought used recently to replace my Benq (which suffered a partial backlight failure). This model has the built-in sensor that pops down from the top bezel edge.

Mine stopped popping down during calibration (and then reported an error). I was able to coax it down and now it works, but it won’t go back up. My guess is there is a plastic gear that is either stripped or out of adjustment.

Before I dig into it, I thought I’d check to see if anyone else has trod that path who could warn me off or give me the secret to pulling off the bezel without breaking it. I’d rather leave the sensor down than ship it somewhere, but if getting into it isn’t too difficult, I’ll give that a go.

The gradation and uniformity of it is really amazing—on a different planet from the Benq. And it performs a hardware-level calibration using an external sensor, with the free software Eizo provides. Much faster and easier than the Benq. It’s worth the effort to keep it as perfect as possible.

Rick “using an i1 Display Pro for calibration” Denney

Re: Anybody disassembled an Eizo monitor?

When faced with something like this, watching a bunch of YouTube videos on how to disassemble similar monitors might be your best bet. Assembly is probably roughly the same as any LCD monitor I would think...

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    When faced with something like this, watching a bunch of YouTube videos on how to disassemble similar monitors might be your best bet. Assembly is probably roughly the same as any LCD monitor I would think...
    My experience with Eizo monitors suggests that the assembly is not the same. @rdenney's monitor in particular has onboard hardware for self-calibration. I would give Eizo a call in California and ask to speak with one of their technicians.

I've never opened one up. I did however ship one to Eizo and even though it was out of warranty they fixed it for me. Replaced the panel itself. It cost me shipping. Their service is stellar and knowing that may put you at ease as to shipping. It was even shipped back to me in their ultra secure packaging.

As for the DIY approach, I'm the first to jump in. In this situation though I suspect that the circuitry needs to know, as is evidenced by the error reported, that the circuit wants feedback and that implies something the likes of a hall effect sensor as is widely used for such feedback. Those I leave to the experts to calibrate. It's not a hex wrench type of fix. Or is it? IDK. Without specs I would shy away from such an adjustment.

After coaxing carefully the sensor out of its hiding place with the point of a knife, everything works perfectly without error, except that the sensor will not retract. I’m trying it that way to see if the unfurled sensor is ever in the way. So far, not.

Man, does this monitor calibrate easily! And if is absolutely even and uniform. It’s a different planet from the Benq.

I got it without the viewing hood, but the Benq hood fits it pretty well—I just need a bit of stick-on Velcro to keep it in place.

Rick “not attempting a repair until necessary” Denney