Thread: Harrison vs Wanderer 8x10 Dark Cloth

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Harrison vs Wanderer 8x10 Dark Cloth

[EDIT: The result of this discussion is that I ordered a Wanderer 8x10 dark cloth; see posts #15-#17 and #25]

I want to get a new 8x10 dark cloth. Harrison is a known quantity. I'm also interested in Wanderer, mostly because it offers colours other than black and white. Its dark cloths cost quite a bit more. I'd appreciate views of Wanderer owners on the product.

Dimensional Difference:
    Harrison Medium: 53" x 55" (134cm x 140cm)*
    Wanderer: 36" x 56" (91cm x 142cm)

The Harrison, which is in stock at B&H, costs US$79. Wanderer's are $116 or $136, depending on material. There's an "Ultra Light" version, more money, but I don't think that I need the space and weight saving. There's also a waterproof version in four different sizes.

Wanderer's website shows low stock. Intrepid Camera sells some of its dark cloths and has them available. However, I've had an e-mail exchange with Wanderer and it appears that I can get what I would want directly from them.

I'm not interested in BTZS or Blackjacket dark cloths, which I've already looked into, or in buying fabric and making one. I am kind of curious why, apart from Linhof, there don't appear to be any European makers. I have a U.K. Páramo dark cloth, and wrote a post about it, but it isn't available for 8x10.

Thanks for comments.

Harrison B&H link: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ssic_Dark.html
    Wanderer website: https://www.wandererphotogear.com

* These dimensions are from Camera Essentials, the company that makes Harrison products. B&H's site says 54"x58"
    Last edited by r.e.; 20-Jan-2022 at 08:53.