Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harrison vs Wanderer 8x10 Dark Cloth

Harrison vs Wanderer 8x10 Dark Cloth

[EDIT: The result of this discussion is that I ordered a Wanderer 8x10 dark cloth; see posts #15-#17 and #25]

I want to get a new 8x10 dark cloth. Harrison is a known quantity. I'm also interested in Wanderer, mostly because it offers colours other than black and white. Its dark cloths cost quite a bit more. I'd appreciate views of Wanderer owners on the product.

Dimensional Difference:
    Harrison Medium: 53" x 55" (134cm x 140cm)*
    Wanderer: 36" x 56" (91cm x 142cm)

The Harrison, which is in stock at B&H, costs US$79. Wanderer's are $116 or $136, depending on material. There's an "Ultra Light" version, more money, but I don't think that I need the space and weight saving. There's also a waterproof version in four different sizes.

Wanderer's website shows low stock. Intrepid Camera sells some of its dark cloths and has them available. However, I've had an e-mail exchange with Wanderer and it appears that I can get what I would want directly from them.

I'm not interested in BTZS or Blackjacket dark cloths, which I've already looked into, or in buying fabric and making one. I am kind of curious why, apart from Linhof, there don't appear to be any European makers. I have a U.K. Páramo dark cloth, and wrote a post about it, but it isn't available for 8x10.

Thanks for comments.

Harrison B&H link: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ssic_Dark.html
    Wanderer website: https://www.wandererphotogear.com

* These dimensions are from Camera Essentials, the company that makes Harrison products. B&H's site says 54"x58"
    Last edited by r.e.; 20-Jan-2022 at 08:53.

Re: Harrison vs Wanderer 8x10 Dark Cloth

I love my wanderer dark cloth. The fabric is high quality, and the cord makes it easy to attack to the rear frame of the camera. The patterns are also fun and make the camera stand out a bit more (not that 8x10 view cameras don't stand out already). I highly recommend them, I use mine for 8x10, and even though they say its for 4x5 or 5x7 it is definitely large enough for my 8x10 camera.

Is the Wanderer cloth plain fabric that stays supple in cold weather? I like my Harrison cloth very much, but the treated, silvery surface gets stiff in the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    I use mine for 8x10, and even though they say its for 4x5 or 5x7 it is definitely large enough for my 8x10 camera.
    Thanks very much. So yours is 36" x 48" (91cm x 122cm), 8"/20cm shorter than Wanderer's standard 8x10 cloth on the long side.

Did you order your dark cloth with the optional snaps ($12)?

I have the Large Harrison

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ark_Cloth.html

Like it a lot

I use it mostly in studio with Studio Deardorff 11X14

I asked Wanderer about its snaps, which are a $12 addition, and received this reply and drawing:

"The cinch cord goes around the rear standard of the camera - and drapes down below. The snaps effectively keep those two edges of the draped fabric secured together. Making it a bit more tube-like, if you will."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wanderer snaps.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	223355

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    I have the Large Harrison

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ark_Cloth.html

Like it a lot

I use it mostly in studio with Studio Deardorff 11X14
    Thanks. I have a Harrison changing tent. Ben Horne has a video on YouTube about Harrison's 8x10 dark cloth, in which he compares it with BTZS's. Coincidentally, Horne and I both have an Arca-Swiss 8x10 and a Lee Filters hood. Horne talks about the Harrison starting at 3:15:

I replaced a tired Zone VI dark cloth with a Wanderer last year. It is made from quality heavy fabric that stays put in the wind...I don't miss the corner weights. The draw cord is a nice addition. I use it on cameras up to 8x10.

Quote Originally Posted by jprofita View Post
    I replaced a tired Zone VI dark cloth with a Wanderer last year. It is made from quality heavy fabric that stays put in the wind...I don't miss the corner weights. The draw cord is a nice addition. I use it on cameras up to 8x10.
    Hi, which size Wanderer do you have:

4x5/5x7: 36" x 48" or
    8x10: 36" x 56"?

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    I want to get a new 8x10 dark cloth. Harrison is a known quantity. I'm also interested in Wanderer, mostly because it offers colours other than black and white. Its dark cloths cost quite a bit more. I'd appreciate views of Wanderer owners on the product.

Dimensional Difference:
    Harrison: 54" x 58" (137cm x 147cm)
    Wanderer: 36" x 56" (91cm x 142cm)

The Harrison, which is in stock at B&H, costs US$79. Wanderer's are $116 or $136, depending on material. There's also an "Ultra Light" version, more money, but I don't think that I need the space and weight saving. There's also a waterproof version in four different sizes.

Wanderer's website shows low stock. Intrepid Camera sells some of its dark cloths and has them available. However, I've had an e-mail exchange with Wanderer and it appears that I can get what I would want directly from them.

I'm not interested in BTZS or Blackjacket dark cloths, which I've already looked into, or in buying fabric and making one. I am kind of curious why, apart from Linhof, there don't appear to be any European makers. I have a U.K. Páramo dark cloth, and wrote a post about it, but it isn't available for 8x10.

Thanks for comments.

Harrison B&H link: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ssic_Dark.html
    Wanderer website: https://www.wandererphotogear.com
    I’ve gone through them all, including the Wanderer/BTSZ/Dark Cloth/Harrison.

I mostly use the Harrison one (Large) with my 8x10 when I go out. It’s very light and easy to use. The 94” in length give you a lot of flexibility and if you don’t need total darkness, you can just loosely cover the camera with it without wrapping around the entire back, which makes it faster and also makes inserting/removing film holders a bit easier. It’s not the best for windy situations since it’s not weighted but wind and 8x10 camera’s don’t go together that well, regardless of the dark cloth.

I’m more in favor of function than looks— so to me the Wanderer colors don’t mean much, although the fabric is high quality for sure.

For 4x5 I just use a jacket.