Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BTZS Tubes in daylight

Re: BTZS Tubes in daylight

I've only ever used the 8x10 tubes and, like others, I've always moved to stop and fix in dim light without any issues. In the fix, I'll roll the tube back-n-forth for about a minute, then removing the film to complete the fixing in the tray. I've done this with 100 - 400 speed film.

I've never had any problems with this step. I remove the cap keeping the open end pointed downward away from the one dim safelight that is on, then place in the stop bath tray still keeping the open end away from the safelight.
    I usually remove the sheet to place it in the fixer tray, or to insert it in film hangers & tank if fixing more than a few sheets at a time. I turn on the regular safelights after it's been in the fixer for a few minutes.
    TMax100, 400, Tri-X, Ilford Delta and HP5 have all been processed this way without any issues.

Thanks everyone to share the experience. Very helpful.
    I think I will get the set of tubes.
    Ciao

Mario
    Mario

Very useful discussion, gents--may I assume that most of you still use a film changing tent of some sort for getting the tubes mated with the section holding the developer? FWIW, I've got a Harrison standard sized tent, so I suspect that processing more than one 8x10 tube at a time might be a little cluttered.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Very useful discussion, gents--may I assume that most of you still use a film changing tent of some sort for getting the tubes mated with the section holding the developer? FWIW, I've got a Harrison standard sized tent, so I suspect that processing more than one 8x10 tube at a time might be a little cluttered.
    I suppose you could do it in a tent but I certainly wouldn’t want to. What I did was put a small table approximately 20 inches square in a closet with a sheet of black out fabric covering the door. This is where I load the tubes and transfer the caps with developer. This is also where I load and unload film holders. My point being that while I have a film changing tent I use my blacked out closet most of the time and save the tent for when I’m in the field.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    I suppose you could do it in a tent but I certainly wouldn’t want to.
    Thanks, that sounds like a nice solution--I wasn't considering the utility of having a light-tight space that wasn't a full-fledged darkroom.

It took about 10 minutes to get the image density built-up by normal developing... how much additional do you think happens in a few seconds? Not enough to measure.

Alkaline fixer is the bugbear... because development continues a bit longer in the fix.

If you use acid fix, then the fog exposure gets almost no time to develop to silver.