Thread: Levels on Tachihara

Levels on Tachihara

Any way to add spirits levels to a Tachihara 4x5 camera without damage? I wouldnt like to put screws or tape/adhesive or damage otherwise. Thanks

Re: Levels on Tachihara

If you don't want to use an adhesive, a machinist's level has enough weight to stay put. They can be pretty expensive, but I have Lee Valley's, which is reasonably priced, at least for this kind of level: https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...l?item=15P2101

My 3rd(?)-hand 4x5 Hope came with levels on it, but inexpensive plastic ones. When I need to worry about vertical away from buildings, I carry one of the round carpenter's angle finders with a weighted indicator I got decades ago. Accuracy is probably good to a degree, which is fine for my work.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by mpaniagua18 View Post
    Any way to add spirits levels to a Tachihara 4x5 camera without damage? I wouldnt like to put screws or tape/adhesive or damage otherwise. Thanks
    I added bull's eye levels to all my wooden folding cameras that didn't have them. The ones I have are about 1/2 inch in diameter. They are attached with double-sided tape and ringed by a brass washer (mostly for cosmetics).

The trick is getting the levels level when mounting. I set up the camera for an architectural shot of a modern (i.e., known plumb and square) building using hand-held levels and then further square the image on the ground glass using the grid. Only after I'm sure the back is really plumb and level in relation to the subject do I mount the bull's eye level. I use tape shims to get it to read correctly. Bring lots of tape; it sometimes takes several tries to get the level to read correctly. Fortunately, you can just pull the level off, remove the double-sided tape and start over as many times as you need.

Then, I use the level to get the back in the level and plumb position when setting up, but always make fine adjustments using the grid on the ground glass.

Best,

Doremus

Many camera levels aren't very accurate anyway, so best solution is to go to a hardware store and buy a torpedo level to just place on camera while shooting... Even a cheap torpedo level is much better than the camera levels...

Steve K

as mentioned above... to get your camera level and plumb before mounting your level on the camera body.

you can also setup a level level on a tripod. set up a plumb line off that tripod as well. then using the grid on your gg, level and plumb the camera to the level and plumb bob.. now you can mount your level on the camera body so it registers correctly.

amazon has a nice assortment of levels

https://www.amazon.com/level-bubble/s?k=level+bubble

clip them on or use magnets i guess.

Thanks for suggestions and comments. I guess for the time being I Will get a small torpedo level. La ter I will test double sided adhesive tape on a Hidden area and check it doesnt left a permanent mark. Best regards.

Marcelo

Here's one that's sure to be accurate, no matter how you place it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Level.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	223274
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/